J-Body Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
yeah, I own an 88 cavalier and am looking to do some major modifications, money isnt a problem but time is an issue, i want a nice powerful engine but dont really know what to go with. I was going to buy another 2.8 and rebuild that so i could continue to drive my car while im working on it. But as i got further into looking and so on, i started getting ideas and whatnot, and now i dont know what to do...any suggestions? i want a fast car when im done and i dont know if the 2.8 will give me what i want, when i hook it all in i am going to put a turbo or a supercharger onto it, or at least i would like to...gimme some ideas...please.......

· Premium Member
13,866 Posts
hell if money isnt a probelm you can pay me and ill do it for ya;) seriously thouh, like brad said, thats the place to start.....good luck keep us posted

· Super Moderator
20,058 Posts
arkaine said:
If you wanna pay that much for a turbocharger and all that mess, just spend the money to have an LS6 Corvette engine slapped into it and be done. You'll pay just as much for the turbocharger.
Ummm, I'm not sure what to say to this, other than how does this truely make sense? Sure the price maybe the same in the end, although I HIGHLY doubt it, and the performance would probably be close to equal provided other things were done to make use of the power, plus the turbo will be easier to install in the end, so labour time/money would be less.

Don't believe me? I rebuilt my engine AND turbocharged it for around $2000 CDN, it can be done, you just have to find the right deals, and right parts.

· Registered
769 Posts
I would love this fact to be true. I think the end cost of fitting a rear drive LS6 into a J would be far more than $3k. The parts may add up to that but the time and other work involved will far exceed that cost.

If it only cost $3k to make a Vette engine work in a J don't you think more people would have done it already? I have only seen one rear drive J and it cost alot more than this to make it function.

· Super Moderator
20,058 Posts
Yep, generally chassis work alone to fit a V8 into a J-body, even keeping it FWD is quite expensive, since a lot of parts would need to be custom ormoved around.

Besides, in theory, a 3.1L with 14.7 PSIG boost pressure and properly tuned, would make the equvilant power of a similar design naturally aspirated 6.2L engine, and a lot times theory doesn't hold, the turbocharged engine makes more power. ;)

If someone can do the work themselves $3000 for a turbocharger sysytem would be using all of the highest priced parts, using used parts and doing the work yourself, you can turbocharge for less $1000, I know, I've done it, and seen it done on several occasions. Most times it works very well. Even using a "kit" $3000 is a lot less than overall cost of dropping a physically larger engine into a small engine bay like the J-body, so please get the facts right, before you make assumptions. :roll:

· Registered
42 Posts
Yeah 25 grand for a stage 3 451 ls6. I admit I was off. but if you get a stage 1 ls6 its only 9 grand. and I am sorry but if you put a turbocharger in a 3.1 it is NOT the equivelent to a 415 horsepower LS6. I got the facts right there bud. $9,000 dollars for a stage 1 LS6. Heres the link. Check it.

http://www.gen3perf.com/

· Premium Member
11,761 Posts
Are you even taking into consideration the money it would cost to prep the chassis to hold that engine...I don't think you are. Why continue to argue a point that doesn't matter.

· Premium Member
11,761 Posts
Because I'm sure he wants to still have a streetable car in the end. I'm not gonna argue anymore as to why this idea isn't the best route because you'll just come back with another statement. its POINTLESS! :evil:

· Super Moderator
20,058 Posts
You know what bud you ARE WRONG! There is a guy with a 4th gen camaro, 3.4L iron head, which in it's best day made about the same power as a 3100, and guess what? he puts LS1s to shame, over 300 HP and over 400 ft/lbs of torque (this is just one case, there are others, ever looked at midget car racing?). Done right , the 300ml difference in engine displacement won't effect over power out put much.

Let's look at the fact here:

V8 of any kind into a J-body, let's assume a RWD conversion, ok, so if you could in fact buy an engine for $9000, that has no accessories, so another $500 to $800 for all the accessories, now where getting close to $10000, before teh engine is even placed near the car to get installed.
Now look at the chassis work, usually drivetrain placement conversions like this cost about $5000 for chassis work alone, so we are now near $15000, take into account the new brake lines, fuel lines, rad, hoses, likages, new interior sheet metal for the tranny tunnel, rear wheel wells, all the little detail stuff, etc, you're usually looking at another $5000 or so, so now we are at just under $20000 for what? about 400HP, when that could have beenmade for far less, and far less down time, by adding a turbocharger system, and/maybe building an engine that will bolt into the engine bay, for between $1000 to $5000 total investment (depending on actual cost pf parts and ability of the owner to install/fabricate the system) and be more repected when you do prove how well a FWD car can run?
Even attemping to drop that V8 in your car as FWD to keep it apples to apples, you are still going to spend about $5000 in chassis work, adaptors, and custom parts, hoses etc, so you'r still at just about $15000 for a V8 in your car, which if done in a FWD aspect will greatly upset the balance of the car and make it only good in a straight line (for the most part).

· Super Moderator
20,058 Posts
And now to get back on topic......

fretz;

What are your ultimate goals for the car? Is it a daily driver? Weekend fun car? What type of performance are you after? Straight line? Road course? Other?

· Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
well, this post got confusing fast...what i meant by money isnt a problem is that i can get it, in no way did i mean that i have money to throw around, haha, hell 100 bucks for a parts car is gonna be hard to scrap up, i only meant suggestion wise money aint no thang but a chicken wing.

I also would like to keep my cavy somewhat the same, and not have to spend extra money on chassis/frame prep, and the entire conversion to rear wheel drive. I basically want a really fast front wheel drive engine. like i said, i could buy a 2.8 rebuild it, port and polish it, and snatch a turbo for it...but is there faster out there? if so instead of buying a cavy parts car, i could buy a different type of car and rip the engine out of that.

If staying with the stock engine, then do they even make a turbo or a supercharger for the 2.8/3.1? My number 1 goal at the end of this is to pull up next to a shitty little civic and blow the hell out of it, the car could probably do this stock, but i want to do it oh so much better. so yeah, it is going to be an everyday driver for a time, until i get out of college and drop the money for a second car, then itll be the rear wheel conversion...just cuz the J's look so cool, but until then i want a nice, fast street race worthy car.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.