J-Body Automobiles Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I installed my new intake , but when i got it on, and drove around with it, i checked it about 3 mins down the road (just to see) and it fell off the throttle body. I got a screw-driver and tightened it down more (it was tight to begin with) ... and the thing fell off about 3 times that day. the next day i went and got another coupling (this one is thinker (about 1/2" think rubber). and installed that... it lasts longer but will eventually fall off i think. the screw on the TB gets loose (none of the others do though.)

Could this be from the weight of the fipe and Filter? I have it resting on the old air box mount... maybe this is causing a bad angle?

has anyoe else had this problem? if so how'd you fix it?..

also mines a 89Z if that matters

thanks in advance.

-Ken

[ This Message was edited by: slayer on 2001-09-03 11:28 ]

·
Super Moderator
7,650 Posts
hrm..
Most people have probs with the filter coming off the end, not with it coming off the TB.

Maybe try getting a strip of thin rubber to wrap around the outside of the TB, to make it a bit thicker for the clamp to hook on to.

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It magically stayed on maybe when(if) it comes off again i'll try that, i was also thinking about a bead of silicone around the TB would that work? because it would make it larger, a little sticky to adhire to, and if it fails silicone peels right off.

what do you think?

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
arg! my tube came loose again... seems if i tighten it more it slips off the throttle body (like pinching it closed, i'm gonna try the silicone way, if it works i'll post, (incease anyone else finds this prob =)

·
Registered
69 Posts
Here's my idea, similar to how I get mine to stay on. Make sure you get everything right first, before you try it, if you do.

Since you're not using you're stock airbox anymore, try bending the metal bracket that the top part of the airbox used to bolt to. Bend it so it's right close to and parallel to you're new intake pipe, and bolt your new tube to it. Be sure to drill the hole for the bolt a little 'too far' down the pipe, so that the bracket will have to bend forward and act like a spring to force the intake up against the TB when bolted tight. Then just clamp it normally, not too tight, but tight enough for a good seal (unless you're TB is oval, like mine is, then you're probably better off clamping it tight as possible) And of course, seal the bolt hole up real good. This is how I got mine to stay on, except that my intake is made of ABS pipe fittings, and the bracket just sort of pushes against on of the ridges between ABS peices, instead of being bolted on.

Look at it and try it if you think this will work.

[ This Message was edited by: brantk on 2001-09-07 23:12 ]

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was thinking about doing that actually.

byt he way if anyone was following this message DON'T TRY SILICONE when silicone is wet it's extreamly slippery, and basically acted like grease on the TB slipped right off when I tightened the clamp.

about the TB prob, I'm gonna try bending the pipe a little bit and see if it'll fit inside the TB (as long as it can't fall too far into the TB itself. If so i'll definatly do the bolt thing.

thanks for confirming my idea.

btw Nice car (looks exactly like mine )

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.