J-Body Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Found this one a webpage, the guy performed this on a 3rd gen. 5spd. Cavalier, so it might work. Ill try it as soon as possible.
This was copied from http://www.angelfire.com/on2/twofour/

Getting past the speed limiter
This tip will only work on 5 speed, sorry to those who have an automaitc. This will not
work on the automatic, cause what it is doing is braking the singal that the tranni and
speedo sends to the OBD II and the automatic needs the OBD II to help it run. The steps
are very easy. First off you have to find where the 2 wires that go into the 5 speed tranni
that control your speedo. The wires should be purple and yellow. They should be at the
end of the tranni, where your half shafts or 2 drive shafts come out at. To make sure you
have the correct 2 wires, disconnect the whole plug from the tranni. Then take your car
for a drive. If your speedo does not work you have the right 2 wires. Now you have to
find where you want to add a switch for the inside of your car. When you find where ever
you want to put a switch, you have to take and run 2 wires from the switch down to
where the wires are on the tranni. If the wires are purple and yellow then cut the purple
one. It really doesn't matter what wire you really cut, cause all you are doing is braking
the loop that the tranni sends to your OBD II that tells the car to cut off fuel when going
over 100 mph. Now after you get the wiring done inside of the car and your ready to
splice the wire at the tranni, just give yourself a few inches of wire, case you ever want to
take the switch out. So you can rehook the wire at the tranni back together. What I did
was make it so I had a switch where my electric window buttons where, but I did not drill
the hole until I tested it to see if it would work on an automatic. From there I took all the
stuff out of the way to get the wiring under the middle compartment, once I got that all
out of the way I started to run my wiring. I started at the place that I wanted to have the
wiring go through to the outside of the car, and that was just above the brake and to the
upper left of the floor board. The one pic shows where I started the wiring. I then made
sure that I had anought wiring coming out into the engine compartment to reach down to
the bottom of the tranni. I would say you will need about 5 to 6 feet of wire and this has
to be 2 wires. One tip in the middle of this. I got one pack of wire 35 feet long and
opened it and what I did was get both ends of the wire and pushed them through so I did
not have to deal with 2 sperate wires. Now that I got the wiring through from the inside
to the outside or engine compartment. I then went and ran the wire to where I was going
to have the switch. I put as much of the wire under my carpet as I could and then under
the center compartment between the 2 seats. I then cut the wire in half and splice the
switch in. You only need a 2 prong switch. Now with all that done. I put the whole inside
of the car back together. Now I took the wiring that I had that I put into the engine
compartment and ran it over the back part of the fire wall and then done to the side where
the wires where on the tranni. Then I got under the car again and cut the purple wire and
spliced one of the wires to one side of where I cut the wire on the tranni and then I
spliced the other wire to the other side of the cut wire. Now with the switch turned on the
loop is not broken and the speedo reads the speed that you are going. Now with the
switch turned off, the speedo will read that you are doing 0 and this will allow you to go
as fast as you want to go. The OBD II will not know that you are going over 100 plus
mph cause it will only think that you are doing 0 mph.

[ This Message was edited by: johnyg on 2001-11-19 14:57 ]

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nope, It wont work on any Automatic, because as that article stated, your cars comp. needs to know the speed in order to work the automatic.

-JOhn

·
Super Moderator
7,650 Posts
Actually, it WILL work on a second gen auto, since the computer is different (OBDI, not II) than the 3rd gens. Don't think the wiring is the exactly the same though. You cut into one of the wires going to the VSS. I have been meaning to do this, but finding time is another story.

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Probably blank cause its not recieving a signal. YOu could also just put a switch in so u cna turn it off whenever u want to.

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
thats what i meant, but i didn; know if it would read blank or last known speed, either way it would only be temporary... not like i drive out rageous speeds down the street all the time.

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah, I dont want to drive over 180 much, but knowing that one of my friends FOrd Tempo can go 190, and a 88'CRX that hits 210, just makes me want to do this.

-John

1 - 9 of 9 Posts