J-Body Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok got a simple question here. I have a set of red neons mounted under my dash that are sound sensitive, really cool effect, but there's one issue. They use a cig lighter plug. I don't like having a stupid plug coming out of my dash, its way too damn obvious. Is it safe to cut off the plug and just run the + - wires to it? Reason I ask is because the cig plug has that little fuse inside of it, hardwiring it would eliminate that and I'm not sure if its a good idea or not. Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
16 Posts
The safest way to do it would be to cut the wires near to the ac adaptor, and run them to a fuseable switch. That way you can just leave that little box in an area where you can adjust it, and the switch will act as the master power.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I cut the wires from the cig lighter and hooked them up to switches and it works just fine. Both ways should work if you hook it up right. Just make sure u hook the lighter back up if you want it, i never did so I cant use mine still.

·
Registered
769 Posts
You should not have any problems, Just cut the plug and wire to 12v and ground. If you're still concerned about the fuse you can pick up an inline fuse carrier from radio shack for next to nothing and wire that to the 12v side.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Well in my car i have done two different ways of wiring this up. One way of doing it is reach around and take off the back of the cig lighter then take the metal part out the front. Then put it back together behind the center consel. The just plug the neon into the cig lighter but it would all be behind the consel. Then all you have to do is run a switch. Second you could splice into the cig lighter. then get some inline fuse holders and fuse the positive wire then run a switch to it.

·
Premium Member
7,448 Posts
even if something goes wrong (and you have it hooked up to the cig lighter wires, the cig lighter fuse will blow, so its not like you need a fuse for the neons.. :D

·
Registered
2,363 Posts
When i had mine in, i had a wire running from my amp up into my console. Wired up all the neons to the one wire, then ran them through a switch. So you could only turn them on when the amp was on. That also let me know if i blew the fuses out of the amp... i had a prob with that back in the day.

·
Administrator
25,608 Posts
I've got my interrior neons wired into the remote wire for my amp. I'd say the safest way would be to wire them into the ACC wire on your deck. the neons will never draw more than 1/2 amp but just incase they do short out the 10 amp fuse for your radio will blow alot faster than the 20 amp for the lighter. I've got a 2 amp inline fuse on my remote wire right off of the fuse box just incase....

8)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.