J-Body Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's up guys. I bought a zex dry nitrous kit for my last car (the black convertible). It's a 55 shot (and I've got 75 shot jets if I'm feelin crazy ;)) and I never got a chance to put it into the car because of all the stuff that's gone wrong with it, and I've got it sold. But my next car is a 3.1 also, with a 5spd. It's got 131k on it, mostly highway miles. Everything's new on the car, the fuel lines, brake lines, the whole deal. Just about everything except internal work on the engine. It's got the larger, thicker exhaust, and I know I need to take the chip out for the nitrous :) But the underlying question inside this slightly-too-long post is...Can I put that 55 shot in a 3.1 5spd with that many miles, and not blow the rods out of the fenders? :) Basically, can the motor handle it? Thanks guys, and I'm sure most of you will recognize my friend's car, which will be mine on saturday...

WOOOOOO!

· Super Moderator
20,058 Posts
There's only one way to find out. ;)

It could be ok, but it depends on the tuning of the system and how well everthing else is working, etc.

· Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's Joe Niderno's car until saturday ;) Personally I like the splitters, I think it sets the car off a little more. I think I'll keep'em unless I go with different sides on the car. Also, I can't just trial and error nitrous on this engine, I'm losing enough money having to sell my car in the condition it's in, let alone have to pay for a new engine after I blow the shit out of this one :)

· Super Moderator
20,058 Posts
Then I will have to say if you're that worried, don't even consider installing the system.

· Premium Member
17,295 Posts
I agree with Raven. With that many miles, on a car that is new to you.... I would wait a while and see how the car feels after you have driven it around for a few months. If the motor feels strong maybe install it in the spring. If you can, a lower shot to start off would buy some added insurance. (35 shot)

Brad

· Registered
42 Posts
I thik it all depends on how many pounds you decide to spray into the engine. Spraying more than 2 pounds at a time will definately have you calling a tow truck. If you DO decide to spray I'd go ahead and change some major things like pistons, ring, etc etc to ensure that its okay.

· Registered
2,318 Posts
Brad91Z said:
I agree with Raven. With that many miles, on a car that is new to you.... I would wait a while and see how the car feels after you have driven it around for a few months. If the motor feels strong maybe install it in the spring. If you can, a lower shot to start off would buy some added insurance. (35 shot)

Brad
Yeah im with you....think about it. We can tell your excited about the car. What if you slapped that shot and blew the motor. You won't be too much excited after you start looking for another engine.

Take you time

· Registered
2,610 Posts
i was told by my mechanic these cars can handle up to a 75 shot of NOS maybe 100 if you engine is completely upgraded & has been tuned up. me im comtiplating on a 100 shot on mine, b/c ive replaced everything but the actual motor. & ive only got 114000miles. :-?

· Premium Member
17,295 Posts
100 shot on a stock motor with over 100,000 miles! Go ahead, but I think you are crazy. It doesn't matter if you have replaced everything but the motor. In the end it is the engine itself that has to take the increased stress of a 100 shot.

Brad

· Super Moderator
20,058 Posts
brooksoffroadz24 said:
i was told by my mechanic these cars can handle up to a 75 shot of NOS maybe 100 if you engine is completely upgraded & has been tuned up. me im comtiplating on a 100 shot on mine, b/c ive replaced everything but the actual motor. & ive only got 114000miles. :-?
Only NOS, eh? What about Nitrous Express, or Edlebrock, etc.?

I think done right and tuned by someone who has tuned a nitrous system before, could run a 100 shot reliably.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.