J-Body Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 175 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone ever tried, or know someone that has swapped a 4T60/E/4T65E into a J-body?

·
Registered
263 Posts
Welcome. Just for reference. Search button above is your best friend. Here is something I have found on your behalf tho This is not from an install but problems you will face during the install and the modifications needed.

quinker said:
The TH 125 (3 speed), 4T60/440T4 (4 speed non electronic), 4T40E/4T45E/4T60E/4T65E (4 speed electronic) all share the same bolt pattern with all 60 deg V6's... And the torque converters all bolt up to the flex plate the same....

SO any one of the 4 speeds will bolt up to a 3.1L..

Issues in fittin them into a cavilier 4T60/440T4.. You'll need to fab up a new transmission mount or bracket to bolt from the transmission to the stock mount
Axles splines on the outer CV are different.. I don't know if you can use a set of V6 3speed axles on a 4 speed..
Speedo calibration
A vacume line needs to be run inorder to work the vacume modulator
A bracket to mount the lower dog bone mount needs to be fabbed up
Oil Cooler lines need to be reworked
Lock up soliniod needs to be rewired
Transmission shift cable needs to be changed and moved
The biggest issues is weather they will fit inside a Jbody engine bay bolted to the motor.. Both transmissions are larger then a 3 speed auto

The others have all the same problems, but even worse need a proper computer to run the transmission... And the computers that run thoughs transmissions are all OBD 2 and don't work on a 3.1L mpfi motor..

·
Registered
5,820 Posts
91z24 said:
Funny you ask that, I just had a ride in a sunbird 3.8 turbo (15 lbs of boost) with a 4t65e full manual, fucking sleeper :love: :love:

So yeah, it can be done :wink:
sunbird or sunfire?

·
Registered
5,820 Posts
91z24 said:
Funny you ask that, I just had a ride in a sunbird 3.8 turbo (15 lbs of boost) with a 4t65e full manual, fucking sleeper :love: :love:

what do you mean by 4t65e full manual?

what axles did he use with the 4spd auto?

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
barrok69 said:
91z24 said:

what do you mean by 4t65e full manual?

what axles did he use with the 4spd auto?
i assume he means valve body controlled instead of electronic

·
Registered
5,059 Posts
He used grand am axle (fit right in I think).

What I mean by full manual is that he had a ratchet shifter that he moved up to upshift and down to downshift. He made that system with solenoid or something. He also had a switch for the lock up so it was like a 7speeds: 1st gear, 2nd gear, 2nd gear with lockup, 3rd gear, 3rd gear with lockup, 4 gear, 4 gear with lockup. I don't really like the feeling of an auto but that thing was a fucking blast to ride in. I "raced" him on the highway with the 3400/5 speeds :lol: He just hit the gas, PSSSSTTTTTTT and he was gone :lol: He's running high 12.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
he used grand am axles for both sides? know what year, or does it not matter?

·
Registered
6,269 Posts
91z24 said:
torq455 said:
he used grand am axles for both sides? know what year, or does it not matter?
I know he used axle from 97. Don't know if any other year would work, probably, you would have to check part number
97 grand am used a very similar subframe to a J, same knuckles, same wheel bearings and stuff, as well a 94-96 beretta with a 3100 came with a 4speed auto, then L engine bay is very similarly sized to a J car so i don't see why it wouldnt fit right in there, its just the mounting since all the L and N cars switched to that side mount for the motor mount and different trans mount setup in 92

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
that's what i'm thinking. going to have a tranny controller and custom wiring harness. been told i can use the existing tranny mount and mod the bracket to work with the bigger tranny as well as the axles and the shifter from the beretta. at the other end, the tranny to block support bracket may or may not bolt right up. guess i'll find out. appreciate all your imput guys, thanks!

as for searching first....was pretty sure no one else would want do this. everyone else wants that 5 speed!

·
Registered
6,269 Posts
torq455 said:
that's what i'm thinking. going to have a tranny controller and custom wiring harness. been told i can use the existing tranny mount and mod the bracket to work with the bigger tranny as well as the axles and the shifter from the beretta. at the other end, the tranny to block support bracket may or may not bolt right up. guess i'll find out. appreciate all your imput guys, thanks!

as for searching first....was pretty sure no one else would want do this. everyone else wants that 5 speed!
if you get the older hydraulic 4speed say from a early 90s lumina which is very similar to the 4t65e that should work, otherwise get a harness from a 94 3100 beretta and the trans axles and swap in a 3400

·
Registered
5,820 Posts
seanski said:
torq455 said:

if you get the older hydraulic 4speed say from a early 90s lumina which is very similar to the 4t65e that should work, otherwise get a harness from a 94 3100 beretta and the trans axles and swap in a 3400
hydraulic 4spd is the 4T60. no electronics associated with it other than TC lockup

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
right, TV cable operation. i want the fully electronic version and the beefier 4T65E.

91z24, you said axle. did he use only one from the grand am? if so, i'm assuming it was for the passenger side since the tranny is longer. stock axle for the driver side?

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
you can also look into oldsmobile achieva scx axles.. it came with a 3100 V6 and a 4T60E... it runs the same front suspension set up as a Jbody... I can't remember the year I was working on though..

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
yes. had an achieva on the hoist with the 3100 4t60. measured all the bolts and ball joints. measured my Z and was only about 1/4 inch off on places. granted, i know the hanging suspension's not ideal for reference, but a starting point. that's why i'm considering this swap. very close.

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
you'll still have to consider what you are going to use for electronics for controling the transmission when going to an E.... but I believe there are stand alone controlers for gm electronic controld transmissions that you could use..

1 - 20 of 175 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.