J-Body Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i know i don't have a jbody i have an 88 beretta gt 2.8 5speed but i have the same engine as alot of jbodys so i guess that kinda makes it ok right? but anyway i was wonderin if any knows about the the forged 3x00 engine from jbp....ive been postin on domesticcrew.com about my plans for my beretta....i am lookin for the highest horspower possible and if it means 2 turbos so be it....but my goal is to build my engine to run with my bro's :guns: ca18det 240sx which he is in the process of gettin/buildin......and i was wonderin if anyone has any experience with this engine.....if i cant find an engine that will keep up with his possible 800-900hp ca18det then i'm afraid i will have to swap in an import motor(which i don't really want to do but if thats what it takes so be it) so any input will be greatly appreciated....thanx

·
Registered
649 Posts
...What are you asking? Input on the JBP motor or the CA18DET?

As far as horsepower potential, history favors the latter. But a friend of mine had a forged 3400 from JBP and had some serious knocking.

As already mentioned, I wouldn't even buy an air filter from JBP. :wink:

Ah, and if you're going to use any import motor, go nissan. I'd say the RB26DET, even though it's a huge cliche. PLENTY of head room.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanx for the input.....if i go with an import engine it will definitely be a nissan engine....i just don't know which one.....the biggest prob would be the tranny since most of the good engines are rwd....but i will figure sumtin out and keep everyone posted and if anyone has any input on this subject throw your 2 cents in cuz any info will help...thanx

·
Registered
649 Posts
thanx for the input.....if i go with an import engine it will definitely be a nissan engine....i just don't know which one.....the biggest prob would be the tranny since most of the good engines are rwd....but i will figure sumtin out and keep everyone posted and if anyone has any input on this subject throw your 2 cents in cuz any info will help...thanx
Just import a skyline from Japan. You might be surprised by how cheap they are to get, IF you can find the right company. :wink:

Well...cheap in relation to buying a new motor and building it to match 800-900 horsepower.

·
Administrator
25,608 Posts
just sneak in a single turbo'd 383 stroker under the hood with some really quiet mufflers. you'll smoke him all day :lol:

you aren't going to get 800-900 HP out of one of these engines without spending an insane amount of money. Just not going to happen.

but if you wanted to get close...

grab a 3500, stroke it out to a 3.8 or so, forged H beam rods, forged pistons, P&P the top end, run like 30 PSI single turbo and a 100 shot of giggle gas with a healthy cam, tubo headers and ALOT of tuning.

·
Registered
649 Posts
grab a 3500, stroke it out to a 3.8 or so, forged H beam rods, forged pistons, P&P the top end, run like 30 PSI single turbo and a 100 shot of giggle gas with a healthy cam, tubo headers and ALOT of tuning.
Plans of yours, Dave? :lol:

... next problem though is how do u get it to the ground??
Buy a Mustang. :wink:

I've never had problems with traction. <SIZE size="59">Probably because the damn thing weighs 3600 pounds</SIZE>

Just problems with driveshafts.

And rear ends.

And transmissions...<SIZE size="59"></SIZE>

·
Registered
11,294 Posts
voiceless said:

I've never had problems with traction. <SIZE size="59">Probably because the damn thing weighs 3600 pounds</SIZE>

And rear ends.

lol, "just"

·
Registered
649 Posts
I can't tell you how long I've wanted to put an LSx in my mustang. :lol:

I've got a 460 bare block on my engine stand right now--problem is I spent all my money buying the 350 for my S10. But I hope to eventually supercharge it and get it running 10's.

...Then again, don't we all?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
see the way i figure it i will have more money in getttin a fast car and makin it fast enough to compete with my bro.....than if i just get a bad ass engine and a lil customization to slap it in the retta....plus thats a hella sleeper.....a chevy beretta with say a 300zx vg30dett pushin over 700hp...and where i come from the only engine swap done in a compact is the srt4 motor in older neons and hopefully when i'm done i will smoke them all day long and leave them wonderin what just happened

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
rettaboy said:
see the way i figure it i will have more money in getttin a fast car and makin it fast enough to compete with my bro.....than if i just get a bad ass engine and a lil customization to slap it in the retta....plus thats a hella sleeper.....a chevy beretta with say a 300zx vg30dett pushin over 700hp...and where i come from the only engine swap done in a compact is the srt4 motor in older neons and hopefully when i'm done i will smoke them all day long and leave them wonderin what just happened
plan on spending $1000+ per 100 hp. thats just for the engine. add tuning software and a drivetrain that can get the power down. your looking at a pretty hefty pricetag. thats just my opinion tho.
700+ plus hp may tear up your unibody as well unless its tied up with a cage.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
scott0999 said:
voiceless said:

And rear ends.

lol, "just"
grab a 3500 juice it up like scot said but twin t3 or t4's 150 or 200 shot of sneaky pete and Rwd it u'll have a noice toy! oh as well cage it reinforce the entire car as well with 1 1/2 inch tubular braces front to back and across in a x / w drive dhaft carrier and strip any interior metal that is not necessary and yes there is alot of it

·
Registered
649 Posts
grab a 3500 juice it up like scot said but twin t3 or t4's 150 or 200 shot of sneaky pete and Rwd it u'll have a noice toy! oh as well cage it reinforce the entire car as well with 1 1/2 inch tubular braces front to back and across in a x / w drive dhaft carrier and strip any interior metal that is not necessary and yes there is alot of it
...w-w-what?

So you want me to build a 3500 to put in my Mustang?

Yeah...I think I'll stick with my current ranch, where all of my 481 horses roam. :wink:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
man i was lookin around online and voiceless you were right you can get a skyline for real fuckin cheap and i think im just gonna save the money i would put in the retta and just get a skyline imported from japan....with all the shippin and stuff i can get a 94 skyline 5 speed turbo rhd for like $8,000.....and its a freakin skyline theres not a skyline within a 300 mile radius of where i live....plus i'm sure it real fast to begin with.....well i'll keep yall updated on findings

·
Registered
649 Posts
I love Japanese currency. You look at the price of it and it's 498 thousand yen, and you're all like WHAT?! Then you realize it's only 4 grand. :lol:

Yeah, I actually got a chance to drive a couple of Skylines when I went to Japan last year, and they are worth EVERY PENNY. The R34's are BEAUTIFUL, inside and out, and the R32's are EXTREMELY fun to drive. A lot lighter than the R33's, but with the same engine, if I'm not mistaken. The right hand drive takes awhile to get used to, you often find yourself swerving over to the other side of the road, but it's a great experience. From what I gathered, Skylines are to Japan as third gen cavaliers are to the US. :)

Really, the only BAD part about importing a skyline is getting them to pass import inspection, and then fighting with your local DMV to get it registered and whatnot, because the Japanese have funny VIN numbers. But don't let that stop you. Anyone who's ever driven a Skyline will tell you it's definitely worth it.

Ah, BTW, that's a damn nice one. Of course, you definitely want to check with your local authorities on everything though, I don't want to be responsible for you importing a car you can't drive in the states. :p

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.