J-Body Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would it be safe to wire 3 subs 250w rms (300max) to 2.67 Ohms with amp specs being 1000w RMS @ 1.5 ohm-4 ohm (11V-14.5V)? It's all JL stuff so there's no question about quality. Or should I just go with the Mtx amp (specs below)? I'm just wondering how well it would work and what guage wiring I should setup with?

Power @ 12.5vdc
2ohm = 500x1
4ohm = 250x1

Power @ 14.5vdc
2ohm = 775x1
4ohm = 450x1

Thanks
Rich

·
Registered
40 Posts
local shop in town has replaced 4 different subs all Run of the same amp...you guys do know clipping isnt necessarily all the amps fault. Operator error trying to push and amp past its limit by putting all the gains up can cause clipping. It happens. But whatever that was just My opinion. JL makes very nice amp, just make sure you match amp and sub properly dont think oh its a JL it will be fine. Any amp can clip if installed and ran improperly.

·
Registered
6,390 Posts
ts_audioworx_trev said:
local shop in town has replaced 4 different subs all Run of the same amp...you guys do know clipping isnt necessarily all the amps fault. Operator error trying to push and amp past its limit by putting all the gains up can cause clipping.
Any amp will clip with those circumstanes so saying that JL amps are KNOWN for clipping was totally wrong! Like you said any amp will clip if it set wrong, even a $6000 McIntosh amp (best on the market). So be careful the way you write stuff. :!:

·
Registered
40 Posts
thats right known was the wrong word..my bottom line was that JL although it is an exceedingly good amp for all the reason that 4uhataz has listed, you should still be careful in how you match the amps, when i came here i didnt know everything was so word sensitive, but i will be sure to watch how i say things from now on. But yeah i was in a hurry and Known was the wrong word. My bad.

·
Registered
6,390 Posts
But everything that you say can either be right or wrong depending on how you word it. That's all we aren't a bunck of grammar freaks, so don't sweat that. Instead of JL's are known for clipping, which would imply that the have a serious design flaw, say I've seen a few JL amps go into clipping, that would say that while it might not happen to them all you have personally seen it.

That's all we ask. :wink: Sorry to keep busting your chops

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.