J-Body Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I had never been to a junkyard before, and decided I'd check out a local one to see if they had a few parts I was looking for. Specifically, I wanted a Z24 hood for my sunbird, and possibly some different headlights and taillights to try out moon's tinting idea on.

Get this... the guy wanted $350 CDN for the hood, and $150 apiece for the heads and tails.

What the hell??? I thought junkyards were supposed to be places where you could pick parts up CHEAP! I can't imagine that it would be even that expensive to pick up some NEW parts.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I can believe the price for the hood, they retail at $650, I have never been able to find a z24 hood at a junk yard. If you like it because of the cowls, you are probaly better off to order your own little cowl and put on your hood.

WK James

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Why are they so expensive?
The guy said that it was fibreglass, but I could have sworn that those things are just metal like the 'bird hoods.

I think I just answered my own question, didn't I?

·
Registered
415 Posts
Ok, this should end the arguement.
This past weekend, I too purchased a perfect cowl induction hood (and I mean perfect in every way) and I paid only 30 dollars for the thing.
Now who is getting ripped off.
Find another junk yard for that hood.
This hood is fiberglass too and like I said, the car it came off of was in mint condition.
Look around for other junkyards in your area.
Some are dismantlers and charge you for pulling the parts.
Go to a junkyard in which you pull the part and youll save lots.
Later.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
heh... that almost sounds like fun.
forget other tools. just bring a big hammer and BUST out your parts!

time to check the yellow pages for some pull-your-own-part yards

·
Registered
129 Posts
haha sucks to be you guys. theres a junkyard not too far from my house and i could pick up hoods for under $100 lol... now if i could only get the
seats before the scavangers get to them..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts