J-Body Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a couple questions to ask. they may be simple but I don't know the answers .. hence why I'm asking.

1. Why would someone put a different thermostat in their car? if for more power does it need to be changed back to stock for winter driving?

2. If I put 15" rims on my car will me speedometer read in-correctly? or is this an urban legend?

3. If I want to remove my Plenum to polish it up how do I go about doing this? is it basically remove it, replace the gasket and re-install? or is there anything connected under the plenum in the engine itself?

this is all I can think of off the top of my head. Any help is appreciated.

thanks.

·
Registered
599 Posts
The rim question depends on tire size. to measure the diameter of my factory 14's with tire and wheel measure 25 inches. now take my 16's with 205/55 tires and measure them you get 24.9 inches.

You should run 2 different coolant mixtures for summer and winter. I guess you could go to 2 different thermastat temps. I have Ram Air so i'm gla i'm not driving my Cav this winter. It would never warm up to temp!

isaacs93cavi 2.2 15.9 @85mph

·
Super Moderator
7,650 Posts
1) Running a lower temp thermo doesn't really do much for power. It basically just helps the engine to run cooler, which reduces the stress on it. If you go too low (I think 160 is about the lowest you can safely go) the engine will never get up to operating temp, and the ECM will keep dumping in extra gas, since it needs more gas when its cold. Really bad mileage will result because of this. If you go to a lower temp thermo, you don't have to change it back in the winter, but you will probably want to, otherwise you won't get much heat to keep you warm!

2) Just make sure the outer diameter of the tire remains the same. You could put 13's, or 19's and still keep the outer diameter the same if you get the right sized tire. Check out the tire size calculator in the misc. links section. If you are getting 15's, you would want 205 60 R15's.

3) Yes, there is a hose which runs to the PCV valve that is attached underneith the plenum. Easy to remove one all the bolts are off. you will also need to unbolt the throttlebody and the EGR from the plenum. I just had mine off, and that is all I can think of...

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks
thought id ask those before i go and try myself and screw my car up on me.

i wont bother changing the thermostat i have no problems right now.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts