J-Body Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has any one here put components in the front of a 2nd gen cavalier with out useing kick pannels? I know there are no grilles built in the doors, and i thought about cuting my own but i'm not shure if there will be enough room.

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
a buddy of mine had speakers in the front door of his 88z24 they were there whn he bought it... but there was like a custom box on the door that stuck out about 6" form the door (depth of speakers themself) into the interior. kinda look silly plus it took up leg room.

I'm not a big stero buff, but i was assuming thats what you meant by components?

·
Registered
129 Posts
all depends on how big the speaker is.. i went to the wrecker to figure that out also.. i ripped apart a z'd (forgive me) and i found that a small pair of 5 1/4 will fit in the doors if placed right and a pair of 6x9s will fit in the rear part of the car where the armrests are. hope that helps.. i havent had the courage to put holes into my z'd but i will soon and ill take pics for ya

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I know what you mean. I really would like to have some 5 1/2's or 6's in the door but i am too sceard to cut holes in my door and the speakers not fit or something. Well if you find out any thing please let me know.

·
Registered
97 Posts
On 2001-11-24 02:46, shaderick wrote:
I know what you mean. I really would like to have some 5 1/2's or 6's in the door but i am too sceard to cut holes in my door and the speakers not fit or something. Well if you find out any thing please let me know.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Hey i think your best bet is to go with custom kickpanels. They provide better sound imaging while giving your interior a nice custom touch. they are not as hard to make as you think. i made them for my 90 Z24. it can be done for under $50. I considered putting the speakers in the doors but then you have to worry about the window clearance, water leaking, and kicking them when you get out the car. this site guided me through it http://ww2.esn.net/~jbw/kicks/kicks.htm

1 - 6 of 6 Posts