J-Body Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to meet my fiance for lunch and turning into the parking lot where he works, I notice a low hum as I turn the wheel.

I go in and eat, and then we go to Pepboys to price an oil change for his delivery truck vs the parts for him to do it. On the way back, the hum is back and doesn't go away.

Higher rpms makes the noise change to a higer pitch.
Turning the steering wheel to either side makes the hum louder, as heard from the driver's seat.

Possibly unrelated, but not normally noticed- wispy smoke white or gray in color from the back of the engine compartment near the transmission fluid dipstick. And a steady drip- 2 or three drips every 30 seconds. Puddle is light brown or yellowish color on a napkin and smells bad.
I'm guessing my oil leak is much worse than originally thought? The engine was hot, but I can"t tell if any oil registers on the dipstick. I don't know if this would have anything to do with the noise, but the engine has not been registering as excessively hot.

·
Banned
57 Posts
I am no expert,but it sounds like a leak in your steering system,causing the steering fluid to be very low.Low levels can make all kinds of funny noises,Check your steering fluid level first,and if its low add some asap.If the level drops within a short time...suspect a steering leak.
Mine leaked a year ago and made white smoke from the fluid falling on the hot exhaust.
In any kind of leak situation the trick is keeping levels good while waiting to get the car in for repair.
Willy

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yup, that's what I thought too. The noise got loud enough to hear it clearly. We added a few quarts of oil, power steering fluid, and checked transmission fluid while we were there. I also added coolant. So now the car is happy again. :D

·
Registered
11,294 Posts
^^ the noise will come back, it doesnt just get low on fluid for no reason.

power steering pressure line most likely. their common to leak after awhile

start the car and have someone turn the wheel side to side all the way. check for leaks while their turning the wheel

·
Banned
57 Posts
Well,the fluid should not get that low in 40k miles unless theres a leak.
But,good idea to change the fluid within 40k miles anyway because it can break down over time.
I really suspect a leak.I would look all around with a flashlight to see if there is one.
The dealer charged me something like $250 to fix my leak a year ago.
Willy

·
Registered
11,294 Posts
redeyedtreefr0g said:
If I haven't checked it since I bought the car 40 something thousand miles ago, it wouldn't have just gotten low by itself?

Still, I will make sure to do that, thanks.
its supposed to be a sealed system :)

even after many many miles it should still be full

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Will all the oil gunk everywhere, I'm not sure what I'd be able to see or not see :) .

My dad is in town though, and he is a great patient mechanic, with a calming influence on my fiance. Maybe I can get them to take a look at it.

On the bright side of things, everything looks to be working fine enough to keep me in classes and him at work everyday, I'm nearly done with cleaning the drivers section of the interior, I haven't messed up my new tires yet, and I'm going to court to sue the paint company as soon as I find out their real registered name from Tallahassee.

Oh, I got mini bungees to hold my bike to the rack better. Which makes me happy.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.