J-Body Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, i have an 87 z24 with a 2.8 multi. It keeps blowing alternators, and i don't know where to go from here. I have checked the alternator wires for shorts, there are none. I replaced the battery, also to no avail. There is no pattern, some alternators last a few weeks, while others last only a few days. I have been through 4 of them allready. The large wire from the alternator goes to the starter sylenoid before the battery, could that sylenoid be bad? does anyone have any other ideas??
Some mechanics have told me that the alternators i keep getting at VIP are shitty anyway. Should i just go to the Chevy garage, and spend $200 on one that is better quality?

[ This Message was edited by: comwiz326 on 2001-10-03 10:46 ]

·
Registered
129 Posts
i had a friends car do that.. turns out the guy had the wrong belt on the car and the alt was frying cause it had too much juice.. hmm id suggest taking it to a mechanic.. that way they can figure out whats going on and it will get rid of the guessing bit. hope this helps

·
Registered
346 Posts
i just spent 370$ on as brand new alternator.... and i never had a problem yet.. and its been like a month... go to the chevy dealer or a better high quality shop

·
Super Moderator
7,650 Posts
HAHA... Just blew my new alt. after 2 months. Good thing for that lifetime warranty. Still sucks that I had to freeze by butt off in the parking lot putting a new one on...again.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks guys. I went straight to the chevy garage, and bought a delco alternator. going on 2 months now i think. No probs yet...te-he-he.

on a side note. I just found a 3.1 FI and a 5 speed to put into my Z. She is gonna fly. i Cant wait.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts