J-Body Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just need to know.
i i was looking to buy a 89 z, what would be good mileage. is 220000 to 280 000 a lot of kms? is it worth investing? also, i was looking at a 92 z, what is a good mileage range for that?

any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

·
Registered
415 Posts
Josh, just make sure you want to invest in any of the z's you just mentioned.
As you know, older cars need consistent maintenance and requires good maintenance to run good. As they get older, youll need to replace stuff, so be prepared for it.
Check out the net and do some searches on the subject. MSN's Carpoint is a good source for information on what you want. You just punch in the information on the car and it tells you the blue book, what to look for and many other helpful articles.
Do some research on the subject and youll find out if you really want to purchase the car.
This may not help much, but is a good start.
Good luck.

·
Super Moderator
7,650 Posts
220,000 km isnt too bad, 280,000 is really starting to get up there.

My 92Z has 118,000 miles (190,000 km), which is about average for a 92, and it still runs great.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I bought my 88 two months ago and it only had 140,000km on it, and it's in mint condition. Take your time looking for what you buy, it took me 4 months to find this car. I would say find something else unless both the car and engine are in excelltnt condition, because with that many kms on it you will be looking at an engine rebuild very soon, along with the other regular maintenance.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I guess mine is getting over the top!!! 290000kms!! That is for the car... not the engine, the engine has been replaced in it, but only God knows why. How do I know? It's a 5spd manual, and the engine has the oil filter extension fron an auto is on there.....

·
Registered
393 Posts
i bought my 92 with 92000 on it and ive had not major problems until now.....i have 3 injectors that are leaking but thats cuz ive been running the car way too hard...but thats not a prob im just goin to swap a new 2.2 in it and take what i need off the old 2.2......i currently have 138000 miles on it and with the leaky injectors its running great

·
Registered
50 Posts
ive got an 89 z with 171,000 miles on it and it runs like a charm. they can run forever if they are kept up right. ive seen one with 220,000 and it was still great mechanically.

·
Registered
800 Posts
my 1990 Z has over 300 000 km on it and it runs just like a 2002 Z the only problem it has had was when the clutch was ridden too much and it blew, now that there is a new clutch in there it runs perfect

·
Registered
202 Posts
I couldn't belive my own eyes today.

I went to an aution and saw an 89 Z24 with 533000KM dont know if it ran but it turned over. (was the police impound aution and they didnt have keys), and the thing still sold for 1200cdn (i wanted it but i was only going to spend 500 bucks.)

well it just goes to show with proper maintainence these things will run forever!!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts