J-Body Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im in the process of getting a dell labtop off of one of my freinds. Since i am getting it cheap i want to find a way to hook it up to my car, just like that labtop in the eclipse in the fast and the furious.

i was just wondering if anyone has ever done that here on the site to their j body. i was just wondering how you do it. Is there a program you buy? how do you actually hook the computer up to the car computer? and the biggie. How much does the program cost, if it is for sale and do they actually make one?

i have a 2.2 by the way. any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
13,848 Posts
it has ben done before but i cant remember by who. I saw it last year at the bash in ohio. some guy with a red vert phase 2.

·
Registered
582 Posts
That would be Lee Lemoine (ReallyFastZ24). As of now, his convertible is parked, having overly frustrated him through the TGP swap.

The program he uses is called EFILive, which doesn't allow any adjustments, but is very useful as a feedback tool. The interface cable should run around $100 from various sources.

And if you're wanting to do this, no offense, but please use it as intended, and not just to look cool. :)

·
Registered
769 Posts
I saw something recently in a magazine, I think it was in Performance Auto and Sound, that was a complete interface kit. But I think it was like the above only for monitoring things, I dont think it allowed on the fly adjustments. I'll look for it later when I get home.

·
Premium Member
2,826 Posts
EFILive is the only software I could ever get to work with my 88 j body. They have a "evaluation version" which is slightly crippled but gets the job done. As someone said above, this is only good for monitoring and troubleshooting, it does not allow any kind of modification.

You would want to download the version for ALDL equipped vehicles. Cables are available commercially, or if you are soldering-iron inclined, you can roll your own around a MAX-232 chip. I built the MAX-232 cable and it works well. I found the schematic somewhere on the net, don't ask me where now, this was back in the spring. Google should find you plenty of information.

Having one of these setups is great for figuring out what the hell is wrong without just throwing sensors (and your hard earned cash) at the car. If you're interested, I highly recommend hooking it up BEFORE you have a problem and learning what the correct values and behaviors are. This makes it much easier to find the problem when something goes wrong.

Software is available at http://www.efilive.com

- Frank

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have done this and am using EFI Live right now. I have the schematics for the interface saved as well. It cost me all of $13 canadian to build the interface and have never had a problem with it. I have the vehicle definition file for EFI live for my '93 and the one for the ABS as well. I use the laptop anytime there is a small glitch with the car that normal troubleshooting won't find. Unfortunatly I only have the demo version of EFI Live but it will still show everything that you need to see. If you need them PM me and I can prolly get them to you.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
how long can the cable be?? I sold my laptop a while back because it kept breaking and costing me repairs and stuff but I do have a computer out in the garage that is about 10-15 ft away from my car. I have no problem with making the cable myself (i have my ps2 pad hooked up to my lpt port, so this should be a piece of cake) but do you guys think it might lose too much signal strength if I make it too long?

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
megavolt said:
The ALDL connector to the circuit wires have to be as short as possible... but the serial connection from the circuit to the computer can be pretty long.
hey man, didnt know we had another calgary member!

thanks for the info I think im gonna build a cable about 15 feet long

·
Registered
437 Posts
I just joined a couple of weeks ago when I ran across this site looking for repair info. Quite a helpful forum we have going here. Then I ran across the ALDL stuff which really peaked my interest! :) Before a month ago I would have never touched my car with a wrench, now I've replaced my head gaskets and rebuilt my bumper/headlights (I seem to like crashing into people). This site has given me a lot of confidence. Thank you everyone! :)

·
Banned
7,153 Posts
LA<SIZE size="200">P</SIZE>TOP

{rant}Why do people do that? It's a laptop computer; designed to be used on your LAP. NOT in a lab. If you were in a lab, you'd use a desktop. DUH! {/rant}

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.