J-Body Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live close to a town called Pattonsburg, Missouri and they are having there annual car and motorcycle show this Sunday. Even though I have not done much customizing to my car I was thinking about entering it in the Work in Progress Class. Pattonsburg is not to far from Kansas City and is also close to the Iowa border about 100 miles from Des Moines. Every year the show seems to get bigger. Last year we had over 300 Customized cars and 50 or 60 Motorcycles. If any of you are in the area Stop by and check it out. It only cost $10 to enter your car and nothing to just look at all the sharp cars and Motorcycles. There will be a flea market on Sunday also. It really is a lot of fun. If anyone wants come up a day early I can put you up at my house. I will be taking a lot of pictures to show the group and maybe next year you can plan on coming down or up for the show? Thanks, Lonny

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I forgot to ask this question in the first message. If any of you have any ideas that I can quickly put on my car to make it look a little better, I would be grateful? I have the light covers for it but have not put them on yet. I will be putting the CIA on it tomorrow. I also had the tint job done on the windows a couple days ago. I know this is sort of a last minute request but I thought that if anyone could give me some ideas it would be this group. By the way my car still has the dealers decal on the trunk. What would be the easiest way to remove it? Thanks, Lonny

·
Registered
769 Posts
I just picked my dealer sticker off little by little. If it's a vinyl decal it would prolly be easiest to put some heat to it, either a heat gun or hot hair dryer, if using a heat gun be careful not to hold it in one place too long.

If any of you have any ideas that I can quickly put on my car to make it look a little better, I would be grateful?
Drape a really hot, half naked chick over the hood. :D

·
Registered
362 Posts
Sounds like a good show. Also, once you have the vinyl part of the sticker off there will be some sticky glue left on the paint. I have found that Goop hand cleaner works great for taking off any sticky stuff. Its gentle and won't damage the paint.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the advise. I removed one from my sons Toyota(black) and the paint under it was a different shade from the rest of the car. Will waxing it or using some rubbing compound fix that. My son took off for college shortly after I removed the decal from his car. So I don't know what he did to restore the color? I wish some of you could make the show down or up here. It really is pretty cool. You should see some of the Hot rods that show up. They even have some steam powered antique cars and trucks.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have some wax made by turtle wax. It is red and is suppose to help remove or cover up the fine swirly scratches? My car is red so this might help it some? I also have some Maguire wax/cleaner that might work also. Thanks for all the advise and I will let you know how it turns out. I will take some before and after Pic's. Later, Lonny

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I may not be entering my car in the show after all. I went to clean up the engine a little bit more and the damn cable broke so as of right now I cant open my hood? I will start a new message, I guess it will belong under repair and trouble shooting? Thanks, Lonny

·
Registered
769 Posts
I had the same discoloration problem when I took off my dealer decal too. I posted here about it and rubbing compund was the general suggestion. I bought some and went at it it seemed to help blend it a little but I know it's still there. I can see the faint outlines of it, even after rewaxing that section after the rubbing compound. Maybe I just didn't go at it vigorously enough with the compound. Hard to tell really the dealer sticker had been on the car since 92 and I just took it off a month or so ago. So it may have something to do with the 11 years of waxing 2 times a year. It going to be warm again this week so I'm going to give it the final wax before winter and see if that helps.

Another thought I just had. A buddy of mine has some of the Maguires 3 step stuff, not sure exactly what its called, he's going to let me use it to see if it helps blend the area where the decal was. I'll let ya know how it goes.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.