J-Body Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I sold my Cavalier in late 2006. Fifteen years later I met it once again. It seems that the past years have not benefited it (except somebody installed Z24 trim on it) and it looked totally abandoned. So... I saw no other way than buy it back.

Attachments

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah... It seems more complicated than years ago. Each part I search at local suppliers sites is marked as «discontinued». Anybody knows, is there windshield aftermarket manufacturer and corresponding partnumber? Everything I found is Pinkilgton DW01074 but… It seems that it is discontinued too.
I can restore body, paint, I am already rebuilding interior - it was trashed, OK, nothing impossible here, but there is no any way to make new wihdshield by my own.

·
Premium Member
1988 Z24 Coupe 5spd, 1988 Wagon w/94 Auto Drivetrain, 1992 Z24 Convertible Auto, 1994 Z24 Coupe 5spd
2,640 Posts
I bought a new windshield 3 years ago. It was in New port Richey Fl. I've no idea if they are still making them anymore.
However, it is possible to remove a good one from another car. You can buy a kit for removing them. Old school is to use a guitar string to saw one out with. Wear heavy glove and best to have two people. Once you get the string through the rubber, you've got it licked. A sharpened paper clip will normally poke through. A small finish nail works too, just don't pry on the edge of the glass with it.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Ironically, here is no any another car for parts at all. One I found is somewhere near Novosibirsk (just google where it is, OMG)… Well, it seems that there is nothing to do but order custom made windshield. It'll be a bit expensive, but there only way for now.

Right now I restoring the interior. As I said before it is trashed and no spare parts is possible to find here, so I decided to totally rebuild the interior. Since all plastic parts are scraped and cracked, there is no way to make them OEM-like. OK, I have welded them, glued them and make it a nice (YMMV about «nice», lol) look with black alcantara. The roof is in process:
Wood Rectangle Natural material Composite material Beige

And complete:
Bumper Automotive exterior Flooring Gas Automotive tire

Interior parts in process:
Wood Flooring Floor Gas Composite material

Add all together waiting to be installed in place:
Sleeve Grey Automotive tire Tints and shades Wood

(The cat pictured is not included :p)

·
Premium Member
1988 Z24 Coupe 5spd, 1988 Wagon w/94 Auto Drivetrain, 1992 Z24 Convertible Auto, 1994 Z24 Coupe 5spd
2,640 Posts
It's coming along. Glad to here you can get a windshield made.
If you need any parts, I know of some cars around here. I'd be happy to look for stuff you may need. Shipping should not be a problem. I won't charge you anything above what the parts cost. No 'removal' fee. If you need anything, make a list and I'll see what I can find.

·
Registered
814 Posts
Coming along nicely, great job!

@butch_n, you're lucky to have access to parts cars. I've been on the hunt for a reverse light switch for my '90 5-speed, and no such luck. If by some long shot you have one or access to one, I'd be more than happy to make up for your troubles.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Having a parts car sure does help a lot.
I have an 87 4 door Cavalier helping me with my 87 Z24 project. If there is anything that you might need from it, just let me know.

·
Premium Member
2,640 Posts

·
Registered
814 Posts
Can you order from Rock Auto? If so, they have the manual trans switch: 1990 CHEVROLET CAVALIER 3.1L 189cid V6 Back Up Lamp Switch | RockAuto
If need be, I can order one and then mail it to you. Just let me know what works for you.
I've typically gotten all of my parts from Rockauto. However, that switch will say it's in stock/available, until you put it in your cart. If it works for you and you're somehow able to place the order, I would fully reimburse you for everything.

·
Premium Member
2,640 Posts
Same thing happened to me. I did do the Notify Me thing (as I suppose you have done too?). Anyway, if I get a notice saying they can get it, I'll let you know.

·
Registered
814 Posts
Same thing happened to me. I did do the Notify Me thing (as I suppose you have done too?). Anyway, if I get a notice saying they can get it, I'll let you know.
I did the same a few months ago. Worth hoping for :)

There's just none left in the yards around here, no surprise really.

·
Registered
814 Posts
Thanks, it's worth a shot. I put the car away for the winter now, so I'll need to revisit this in the spring time. Thanks for your help!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts