J-Body Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
1988 Z24 Coupe 5spd, 1988 Wagon w/94 Auto Drivetrain, 1992 Z24 Convertible Auto, 1994 Z24 Coupe 5spd
2,714 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hello and welcome to v6z24.

Midwest Transmissions has rebuilt ones.
I bought one a few years ago. It's been a good one, no problems at all with it. I believe they still sell rebuild kits too, if that is something you think you can do.
Thanks, I’ll look into that site. And I am looking to swap from auto to manual, so will need full transmission. Not many options for donor cars or anything in my area sadly.

·
Premium Member
1988 Z24 Coupe 5spd, 1988 Wagon w/94 Auto Drivetrain, 1992 Z24 Convertible Auto, 1994 Z24 Coupe 5spd
2,714 Posts
What year is your car?

You are going to need a lot of stuff.
I don't think Midwest can supply everything you'll need. Most likely just the rebuilt transaxles. Asked them though, could be they have some stuff, I really don't know.
Have you read over the 5spd swap How To? It is here, in case you haven't: How to Swap your auto trans out for a 5 speed manual
It covers pretty much everything you'll need and very good instructions to help you get it all together. You'll need the MANUAL specific mount brackets, there are 3 of them and of course the shifter and cables. At this point in time, you may have a very hard time trying to get all the proper 5spd components it takes. A donor is not 100% required, but getting everything might not even be possible, without alot of luck and searching. It is the little things that matter. Such as the cable mount/clamp on the trans, etc. Midwest doesn't include those pieces.
New (aftermarket) flywheel, clutch, master/slave, CV axles, cables are available (or were not too long ago). But the factory parts (shifters, brackets, pedals, etc) are mostly impossible to find, outside a junk yard.

I'll help you search some, if you'd like

Currently I don't know of any manual cars around me, except a Phase II base 4cyl and some of it's parts are gone. I plan to take some time off to go hunting, in early/mid March. There are some old yards around I've not been to in many years, some never before.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What year is your car?

You are going to need a lot of stuff.
I don't think Midwest can supply everything you'll need. Most likely just the rebuilt transaxles. Asked them though, could be they have some stuff, I really don't know.
Have you read over the 5spd swap How To? It is here, in case you haven't: How to Swap your auto trans out for a 5 speed manual
It covers pretty much everything you'll need and very good instructions to help you get it all together. You'll need the MANUAL specific mount brackets, there are 3 of them and of course the shifter and cables. At this point in time, you may have a very hard time trying to get all the proper 5spd components it takes. A donor is not 100% required, but getting everything might not even be possible, without alot of luck and searching. It is the little things that matter. Such as the cable mount/clamp on the trans, etc. Midwest doesn't include those pieces.
New (aftermarket) flywheel, clutch, master/slave, CV axles, cables are available (or were not too long ago). But the factory parts (shifters, brackets, pedals, etc) are mostly impossible to find, outside a junk yard.

I'll help you search some, if you'd like

Currently I don't know of any manual cars around me, except a Phase II base 4cyl and some of it's parts are gone. I plan to take some time off to go hunting, in early/mid March. There are some old yards around I've not been to in many years, some never before.
Thanks for the info, might have to wait till a donor car pops up in my area. There’s not too many of them left sadly.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.