J-Body Automobiles Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Z24 has 155,000 miles on it. I've replaced the water pump, alternator, radiator, heads (I blew them up by accedent, oops), head gaskets, spark plug wires, and a lot of other things, but I don't think I have the power I had before. I can get a new engine put in for about $2,000 (american), but, of corse, would rather not.
How else could I get my power back?
Thanks

·
Super Moderator
7,650 Posts
Have a compression check done on all 6 cylinders. That will tell you if you are in need of a rebuild/new engine or not. Lots of things start getting warn with that many miles. Could be piston rings that arent sealing, or valves, or carbon buildup.....really hard to say.... Does it burn much oil? Smoke from the exhaust?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's been burning a little oil, and leaking a good bit too (about a quart every two weeks all together). And no, I haven't seen any smoke from the muffler. What do you think it is?
Oh, and were could I get a compression test done?
Thanks

·
Super Moderator
7,650 Posts
A quart every 2 weeks.. Ouch. If most of that is being burnt, that is definately not good. That would definately be grounds for a rebuild. Even if most of that is just leaking out, thats not as bad, but still not good. You can get a compression check done at the dealer, or probably just about any auto repair shop. I wouldn't think it would cost you too teribly much, as it is just simple diagnostics. It involves removing the spark plug from the cylinder being test, attatching a pressure guage to the hole and cranking the engine to get a reading. I am not sure how much the guage costs, whether it would be more cost effective to buy they guage and do it yourself, or have a shop do it. Good luck

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.