J-Body Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Figured I would share it since many don't get around to Fiero forums but its a engine that can be swapped into jbody so somewhat relevant.

Engine
3500 from a junkyard approx 3k miles if I remember correctly
stock crank (steel)
stock rods
stock pistons
CR with gen 2 heads yields 10.8:1
WOT camshaft 280.6/283.8 duration seat to seat, 225/227.6 duration @.050", .565/.526" lift w/ 1.5 rockers, 111 ICL, 111 LSA

Heads
GM gen 2 aluminum heads
Katech ported; 223 int, 168 exh cfm at .500 lift
Crane Gold race 1.5 rockers
Custom length pushrods.
Schneider dual valve springs
Titanium retainers
Modified gen 2 valve covers for breathers/oil fill

Fuel
Walbro 450 pump
Aeromotive adj FPR
Braided lines/AN fittings
60lb injectors(currently)

Turbo
Precision Billet 6765 E housing .82 exh
Procharger A/A intercooler
Tial 38mm MVS Wastegate
3 inch downpipe
PLX m300 wideband
TGP exhaust manifolds
Custom crossover

Intake
Custom cast ITB setup modified for EFI
Custom sheet metal aluminum plenum (350ish ci)

Ignition
Factory distributor
MSD 8.8mm wires
Stock plugs
Crane Hi6S ignition and ps91 coil.

Battery
Odyssey PC680

Videos

Attachments

· Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yes gen 2 heads fit on a 3500 and no they did not kill a lot of power. These heads have very similar flow numbers to stock lx9 heads, and the intake allows much more flow than a factory manifold setup.

Attachments

· Registered
2,425 Posts
Awesome, why didn't you keep the 3500 heads? I 3400 swapped my fiero. I am regretting it. I have never seen an engine with all new gaskets leak coolant and oil as much as mine does.

· Premium Member
25,627 Posts
Yes, you can port Gen 2 heads to almost flow as much as stock 3500 heads... Or you can port 3500 heads and gain a ton of power :wink:

Still a cool intake setup on those Gen 2 heads though, That really was the only way to get good power out of a Gen 2 top end. The stock LIM was horrible for flow.

This engine has Gen 2 heads as well...

· Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
cavalier3400z said:
Awesome, why didn't you keep the 3500 heads? I 3400 swapped my fiero. I am regretting it. I have never seen an engine with all new gaskets leak coolant and oil as much as mine does.
I bought a shortblock with no heads. Also the intake has ports designed for the gen 2 heads. The port roofs in the 3400 heads were raised compared to the gen 2 heads, and the 3500 heads were raised even more. Therefore the ports for this intake dont line up with the 3500 heads. the intake might be able to be ported to match but i don't care to attempt that. I have been lucky as I replaced gaskets on my engine with no leaks. I did valve covers, water pump and timing cover.

Attachments

· Registered
1,724 Posts
Cool build! I have thought of doing a 3500 with gen II Heads myself, figure it would make good torque.

Anymore pics of the heads? Interested to see the exhaust ports, I think that the best I got out of the gen II exhaust was around 140-145cfm... so 168 wow!

· Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
no dyno or qtr mile to share at this time. only one street race and walked away from a ls1 firebird very easily. no idea if it was stock though. It is in the 400 whp range on 10 lbs without nitrous if I was to guess.

· Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I used MSD injector bungs part number 2145 and epoxied them in. Since, it seams MSD no longer makes these as I can't find them anymore. Its a bummer because these also fit the iron head Falconer ITB intakes by simply knocking out the falconer bungs and inserting these.

MSD top mount injector bungs 2135. These are 1/8th npt so I used some -3an adapters

Since I didnt' have room for a fuel rail, I needed a way to keep the injectors in place. MSD also has a retainer but I cant find the part number. But they attach to the epoxied bung, and to the brass ttop mount.

I used a 6 port distribution block from Edelbrock which I also used 1/8npt to -3 adapters

I used -3 braided hose to each injector.

Attachments

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.