J-Body Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been driving my "other" car, (88 Honda Civic) as it is a manual, and wife can't drive a manual, so she drives the Cav (an Auto).

Other than getting great gas milage, I really miss the Cav, and hanging out here, I know because I am not driving the car doesn't stop me from coming, but I really miss driving the Cav, and everything along with it.

EVERY single half assed ricer trys to mess with me..I'm not even trying to drive fast, or evasive whatsoever :guns: It has 100HP for crying out loud!

In other news, I found out the Cav is on its last leg...ALL the sheet metal in the trunk around the right strut tower is rusted and nearly GONE. It makes LOUD banging noises when you drive it, and I know its gonna blow soon, There is no real fix to that is there? Other than drive it until it breaks and the back end drops, and call the scrap place, right?

Pretty bummed either way...Engine and Trans are still super stong, going to be a real sad day to see my first car, going strong for the last 4 years laid to rest.

I have no idea where/what I am going with this, but enjoy..I miss the GM way of life :love:

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
benz88 said:
cut out the rot and replace it with fresh metal. i MIGHT do that to my 91 in spring if i havent found a clean replacement
:cry: There's no need to get down. No the cav isn't down. :D Just cut it out and weld in the new. She'll be stronger than ever!!!! :wink:

·
Registered
107 Posts
Is that what a loud bang is suppose to represent?

When I hit a good bump, i get a loud hard bang from the back, as if my bushings are worn out or just the whole suspension is worn out. Thing is the car is a 94 and underneath is awesome, no rust to speak of besides the rear suspension components themselves have your regular surface rust. Come to think of it the whole car rides rough.

·
Registered
270 Posts
flatblackcav said:
I've been driving my "other" car, (88 Honda Civic) as it is a manual, and wife can't drive a manual, so she drives the Cav (an Auto).

Other than getting great gas milage, I really miss the Cav, and hanging out here, I know because I am not driving the car doesn't stop me from coming, but I really miss driving the Cav, and everything along with it.

EVERY single half assed ricer trys to mess with me..I'm not even trying to drive fast, or evasive whatsoever :guns: It has 100HP for crying out loud!

In other news, I found out the Cav is on its last leg...ALL the sheet metal in the trunk around the right strut tower is rusted and nearly GONE. It makes LOUD banging noises when you drive it, and I know its gonna blow soon, There is no real fix to that is there? Other than drive it until it breaks and the back end drops, and call the scrap place, right?

Pretty bummed either way...Engine and Trans are still super stong, going to be a real sad day to see my first car, going strong for the last 4 years laid to rest.

I have no idea where/what I am going with this, but enjoy..I miss the GM way of life :love:
Perfect place to post what i had in mind to post today, I just got my first J on the road, a 89 Z 3.1 auto.(engine transplant from a 93 GP)
Been driving it for a week now, its one of the least rattle prone cars i have had, only thing that makes a noise is when leg leans on console, it squeaks. Other than that, car is silent , except for exhaust. :)
Starts perfect, idles perfect, no CEL at all.(yea it works) LOL
Handles real nice . And from calculating 2 tanks of gas used, average 28 mpg highway. And best of all, no rust ever on this car, solid as new.
Very happy with the car, just have to get used to the smaller interior after driving a Lumina for 4 years.
When i got it with a bad 2.8 in it, it sat for 2 years in my garage, wasn't sure i wanted to drive a "Caviler" I do now.......
And having another complete 89 Z thats also rust free for parts......Yeah, i think ill keep it..
No i am not bragging, just saying that i now think when you get a decent shape Z, they are underestimated.
If you are wondering why 2 tanks in a week, i drive 100+ miles almost every day.

·
Registered
4,294 Posts
sell the civic and get a z24 :wink:

I've seen a lot of nice z's for under a grand

I wouldn't bother messing with the rotted out cav. You can buy one in better shape for a few hundred dollars.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
robtco99 said:
sell the civic and get a z24 :wink:

I've seen a lot of nice z's for under a grand

I wouldn't bother messing with the rotted out cav. You can buy one in better shape for a few hundred dollars.
Its nearly in as bad a shape..My dad gave it to me just to have a second car to put around it (Woman drives the cav to work).

Floors are horribly rusted out, needs a clutch, and a radiator :cry:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.