J-Body Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 4 gear automatic V6 3.1L RS and raced this weekend against a Sunbird GT with the same engine but manual transmission. The guy was stock, I have a K&N filter an he beat me by at least a car length. I was wondering if having manual gearbox helped out so much ?

P.S. I usually shift it between 4500 - 5000 RPM.

·
Registered
278 Posts
How did you shift it at all with a automatic transmission? And yes having a standard transmission does help because you can get the most out of each gear before having to change gears.

·
Registered
202 Posts
i have found that the same car with a manual tranny seems to have more power.
I think it is because the automatics always have a load on the engine (espesialy when stopped) thus the engine wears faster. I couldn't belive the last car i had (88 ford temo 5 spd) i was beating alot of cars i didn't think the car would (eg. chev truck 92 i think. 93 grand am)
But by buddy's tempo (they were cheap) with the auto was a piece of s*^t he could hardly get out of his own way!!! HAHA

·
Super Moderator
7,650 Posts
5 speeds are faster because of the gearing.
Also, you do NOT have a 4 speed automatic. The ONLY automatic tranny put in the Z's up until 95 was the 3 speed. I see a lot of people registering their cars lately and listing the tranny as a 4 speed auto. Nope. Sorry. It's only a 3 speed, unless you have a 3rd gen (95+)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah Moon, you are right it's a 3 gear and the way I shift it is that I keep the car in 1st gear untill RPM is high (max 5000), then I shift to 2nd and finally Drive. This way I can get a little more power out of it, but it still sucks . Oh, btw anyone has ever noticed this problem : after a couple of races or after beating the car, when I leave it on Drive, my transmission gets really hot and changes gears at 3000 RPM. When I use it normally it changes gear arround 2200 RPM.

·
Registered
67 Posts
driving standard helps a lot, as said above it allows you to get the most out of each gear and cutomize your own racing style, my tach is messed upbut i have two modes of driving.
I got Cruising Style:
1st gear - 0 -12mph
2nd gear - 13-24mph
3rd gear - 25-36mph

And Bandit Style:
1st gear - 0 -24mph
2nd gear - 25-44mph
3rd gear - 45-64mph
then i cool down

peace

1 - 6 of 6 Posts