J-Body Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got my car back from major engine repairs, delayed all winter due to a need for a new convertible top as well. During the course of the extended repairs the engine shop seems to have lost the mass air flow mounting bracket.

I would appreciate seeing a copy of the stock bracket.

I recall it being 2 pieces of C-channel, at least one in an L shape, attached to the wheel well.

I'll update this entry with a few more stumping questions.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The dash gauge for temperature is no longer working.

Does this vehicle have 2 different temperature sensors?

At the thermostat housing is a sending unit with just 1 pin. At this time I cannot get any resistance measurement or voltage on the wire going to it. And giving it connectivity to ground doesn't cause the gauge to move.

Is there another place on this vehicle's engine or radiator where there should be another temperature sending unit? Where?!? Should it have 1 or 2 pins?

All the years I've had this car, the radiator fan has not worked reliably. My friend rigged up a "summer - winter" toggle switch to the relay on the driver's side fender wall so that I can have the fan run all the time in the summer. I improved that with a repurposed window fan thermostat.

The car was in for extended engine repairs all winter and the mechanic thinks he got the radiator fan control working on its own! But I think in the process his assistant caused the dash gauge to stop working.

Any tips for how to diagnose this or trace things back would be very much appreciated, including pictures and diagrams.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Does this car come with a rubber boot or grommet at the base of the dip stick tube?

The mechanic who performed very nice engine work on this vehicle returned the vehicle to me with no transmission dip stick tube. He found where his assistant left it and installed it with courtesy road service even since I didn't want to drive it with its low fluid condition and poor shifting. Also some stalling that I think I recognize as from the lock-up torque converter not unlocking from when I first got this car 20 years ago.

Unfortunately when I filled it up with 2 quarts of fluid it was still low. And worse when my friend added a 3rd quart to ensure it was filled up the right marks, it seems that the entire 3rd quart leaked out onto my driveway right afterward.

I had a similar problem to this when the transmission was swapped out a year or two ago. I am not sure what the shop did, or if they even did it right.

Now's the right time to make sure the dip stick is mounted correctly and sealed to the transmission.

·
Premium Member
1988 Z24 Coupe 5spd, 1988 Wagon w/94 Auto Drivetrain, 1992 Z24 Convertible Auto, 1994 Z24 Coupe 5spd
2,678 Posts
Hi and welcome to v6z24 :)

I don't know much about the 1st gen cars, but I have parts book with those years in them. However, I wasn't able to find the bracket for the MAF sensor. I didn't even know they had MAF (2nd gen v6 cars don't have). Are you sure your car is supposed to have one?

rob613 said:
Does this car come with a rubber boot or grommet at the base of the dip stick tube?
Yes, it does.

SEAL, TRANS OIL FIL TUBE MULTI-LIP
The part number is: 1259475

You can likely get one at a local parts store or your GM dealer Parts Department.

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.