J-Body Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i did a little reading that u can go abs master to non abs master but i was wondering if i could get the master off of a corvette or something like that with a proportioning valve

if that would work

thanks

matt

·
Registered
5,820 Posts
mstreim said:
pezed said:
the j body master has prop valves in it? do you mean externally adjustable ones?
i just want to get rid of my abs unit and was wondering what was interchangeable.
just and FYI, 1990 and 1992+ masters have different brake line input threads on the master. the lines also go into the master at different angles. If you have stock lines you will have to rebend them slightly and chop off the ends to put on a new threaded nut, then reflare...(if you use a 90 or older master)

Some people recommend F-body masters for our cars, the cylinder bore is slightly bigger than the jbody one.

Another thing to consider is upgrading the brake booster.

Then again.... all those mods won't really do much if not make the feel of the brakes worse if your using stock size calipers.

If i were you, juts find a non ABS Jbody and swap it over. Leave the proportioning alone, its set up pretty good from factory. or get an external proportioning valve if you want to play with that.

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
i've done the non-abs master swap now for a couple people.. its easiest to just go to the junkyard with a pair of bolt cutters.. find a non-abs jbody or similar (beretta/grand am etc) and just cut the lines at the master, and buy the master.. most junkyards around me charge $10 for them. now you have the non-abs master and the correct fittings for the conversion. you need a bubble flare tool (ebay $20) and a small brake line bending tool.
you only need to change the fittings on 3 of the lines, one of them is already correct.
below is a pic of how you must rebend the lines:

·
Premium Member
7,652 Posts
Using the non ABS J body MC is probably the easiest way to ditch the ABS altogether.

There are a few bolt-on MCs from other cars that will fit- F body (1" bore, 2 ports on passenger side, no prop), H body (1" bore, 2 ports on driver side, 12mm and 10mm, no prop), and N body (1" bore, 2 ports on driver side, both 10mm, no prop). The F body one can use the stock J body reservoir. The H body reservoir has three ports on the bottom, which requires you to seal one and cut a hole in the hood support so it will close. The N body is probably the best of both worlds. The reservoir fits under the hood, and it weighs next to nothing (aluminum).

·
Super Moderator
20,044 Posts
midnightriderz24 said:
im looking into a n body one.. has anyone installed one?
Nope, but still waiting for my Emu....

Anyway, W-bodies (I'm 98% sure that's what I pulled it from), early '90s (pre ABS) have a master that is a direct bolt on, with a larger bore, it also has the exact same fittings as the non-ABS J-body master in the same locations. Other than looking at the plunger you'd never tell the difference.

·
Premium Member
7,652 Posts
midnightriderz24 said:
im looking into a n body one.. has anyone installed one?
Next week its going in. To replace the H body one I have now.

The W body sounds good! If I hadn't already changed to a split F/R system, I would consider it.

·
Super Moderator
20,044 Posts
anrdewz24 said:
Like Six said, the W-body without ABS works very nicely with the Daytona/Neon swap. I just changed the resivior on the master, the rest just all bolted up.
Yes, I forgot about the resevoir swap, but that's simple enough with a drift and a small hammer. ;)

·
Registered
270 Posts
((( Anyway, W-bodies (I'm 98% sure that's what I pulled it from), early '90s (pre ABS) have a master that is a direct bolt on, with a larger bore, it also has the exact same fittings as the non-ABS J-body master in the same locations. Other than looking at the plunger you'd never tell the difference.)))

I was just at Advance Auto site, and they list a 91 Lumina (W body) non ABS, with 4 wheel disc, as a 24 mm master.

then i looked at one for a 89 Z, and there is also a, New; w/Reservoir; Power Front Disc Brakes; 24mm Dia. Bore Cylinder Labeled DL, LF
and also,
New; w/Reservoir; Power Front Disc Brakes; 7/8" Dia. Bore Labeled NT

·
Registered
5,820 Posts
carpoor said:
((( Anyway, W-bodies (I'm 98% sure that's what I pulled it from), early '90s (pre ABS) have a master that is a direct bolt on, with a larger bore, it also has the exact same fittings as the non-ABS J-body master in the same locations. Other than looking at the plunger you'd never tell the difference.)))

I was just at Advance Auto site, and they list a 91 Lumina (W body) non ABS, with 4 wheel disc, as a 24 mm master.

then i looked at one for a 89 Z, and there is also a, New; w/Reservoir; Power Front Disc Brakes; 24mm Dia. Bore Cylinder Labeled DL, LF
and also,
yeah... my 1990 Lumina has identical master as my 90 z24...inside and out. same part numbers as well. so i don't think it would be considered an "upgrade"

·
Super Moderator
20,044 Posts
barrok69 said:
carpoor said:

and also,
yeah... my 1990 Lumina has identical master as my 90 z24...inside and out. same part numbers as well. so i don't think it would be considered an "upgrade"
I know the one I pulled definatly had a larger bore than the stock J-body master, I measured it to be larger and I do recall when checking the part numbers it also listed the bore as being larger. It wasn't a huge difference, but it was enough. IIRC the OEM master for the J-body was actually 22mm, the aftermarket replacement might just use the one with the larger bore. Sometimes companies do that, especially with older vehciles, to reduce costs of needed parts. It's cheaper to make the same part fit multiple applications, even if it differs slightly from what was originally on the vehicle than to have tooling for slightly different sizes, etc.
I was pretty sure that the master I found had a 26 or 28 mm bore anyway.

I posted about it long ago, and should be able to find the info on here again.

*Edit*

I found what I posted long ago:

Six_Shooter said:
Swap to (I believe it was) '92 Grand Prix (non ABS), maybe '91. Master cylinder. It looks identical to the Ph1 master cylinder, but has a larger piston, to move more fluid to the calipers and wheel cylinders.

·
Registered
270 Posts
yes i posted that just to say that a 24 mm early W body might/might not, be the same as on J. But... there is also a 22 mm for the J listed, least in 89, and also one listed as a 7/8 bore.
Hard to know exactly what is on the J. Maybe a 22 on a 4 cyl and a 24 on a Z? who knows
So i spose if say mine were 22, than a 24 would be a slight upgrade, i want to find out more because i have a 91 W body with a good master that soon will be parked.but if its the same, least it would be a spare

·
Super Moderator
20,044 Posts
No, the '94 RS that I replaced the master on, with the W-body master had the 22mm master.

·
Super Moderator
20,044 Posts
What did you use for a distro block?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.