J-Body Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yup. Just got my car running on my home-brew MSII PNP system. I wanted it to be a direct swap into my car with zero changes to the factory harness. This is my third MSII project, so the tuning should go smoothly. It's powerful and easy to use.

Lets see, this MAP sensor can read up to 1.5bar (22psi boost). That should be enough to total this stock 3400, then I can finally put in my forged motor. :wink:

·
Super Moderator
20,044 Posts
Looks good.

BTW, glad to see you remember us..... stranger. :p

·
Super Moderator
20,044 Posts
1991z24 said:
So how is this different from the stock ECM?
It's a Mega Squirt, in a chassis that plugs right into the stock wiring. Essentially an adaptor "harness".

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
1991z24 said:
So how is this different from the stock ECM?
Easier to tune. You can view a data log and adjust your VE/timing map at the same time.; it also has an auto-tune feature. Lots of things good about it, but I'm sure you can do the same thing and more with the stock ECM. The MS learning curve is steep, but IMO easier to learn than the OE ECM. The main reason I learned the MS system is because it can be used on anything, and I like the flexabilty. I used this to run a single turbo S10 with Ford EDIS ignition as well as a 454SS truck with an 8-pin HEI, and now a GM DIS system on my car. All with the same basic Megasquirt box and using the same tuning program.

Both MS and the OE ECM have various pros and cons. Its amazing what computer engine controls allow you to do!

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have the car running and driving good now, but I had to pull the box back out because I had to rewire the coolant fan portion of my harness. I forgot to set it up to also run the fan when the A/C is turned on. I took another pic with the box out so you can see the wiring a little better.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
scott0999 said:
can you run SFI with it?
Yes, I believe you can with the router board (additional hardware). I have not researched it yet.

BTW, another big plus with the megasquirt is the rapid developement and TONS of support. You can spend weeks/months/years reading everything there is and by then something new has been developed. Its worth checking out.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have it driving almost OE, very happy with it for the little time I have in tuning. Runs good up to 11.4psi of boost, very conservative at 15deg timing and 11.0 AFR. These 30# injectors are at 98% DC at that AFR, but I don't intend to keep it that rich for long.

You will also need to make a TDC pointer on your balancer just to verify that your displayed timing value in megatune is the actual timing the engine is seeing. I had mine close by setting the trigger offset to 60deg, but you really should verify it to be 100% sure. At 10+psi of boost, you can't guess at your timing.

**EDIT- I just realized I had a typo here- I had to set my trigger offset to 60deg, not 10 as originally stated. 10deg seems to be the default, but it was way off for me (way too advanced). Since the trigger wheel is cast to the crankshaft, I think this 60deg offset may be needed for most MSII installations on the 660**

·
Super Moderator
20,044 Posts
treeZ24 said:
what does your timing table look like for 100kpa?
0 PSIG?

That would be a single value, well a line of values, that is changed by RPM at that MAP value. A "table" has much more variance.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Note- I edited my last post- the trigger offset should be 60deg

treeZ24 said:
what does your timing table look like for 100kpa?
Yeah, I can send you a .vex file of the timing map. I don't have my laptop on right now, but IIRC it peaks at 32deg at 100kpa then backs off from there as boost comes in.

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
thats what i have my timing set to right now for peak, i'm more interested in how to find a proper "curve" and setting up the lower rpm spark advance as well.

right now mine is more or less linear from 10* to about 32*

·
Registered
233 Posts
thanks for the help guys it runs now but will only run for about ten secounds and quits not sure why yet

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.