J-Body Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My exhaust came apart after I got a convertor put on it. Upon examination underneath, there is no hanger at the midpoint. It's a metal strap with a round metal rail and a rubber hanger for the pipe. It attaches with 2 screws at the end on the gas tank straps. I have a 88 RS here and that one has it. The garage told me that all 88 thru 94s had this hanger. Just curious if anybody else witha 92 has the same thing or if mine is a factory defect. Garage is gonna put one up on Friday.

·
Super Moderator
7,650 Posts
Not sure, I would have to look, but I am pretty sure mine has a hanger by the cat. Maybe you had one, and the exhaust shop messed it up and doesn't want to tell you?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Moon, I looked where it should go and there is absolutely no evidence at all where the holes are that they were ever used. That is why I am curious about it.

I'm driving the Blue Bomber down to Florida with my wife in January and I don't want to worry about the pipe falling off. I'll be listening intently to it so as it is, driving a total of 2200 miles with a car that has 176K miles on it.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Hey Blue, I just checked my exhaust and I don't have a mid exhaust hangar. I drive a wagon and the only hangar I have is the one right before the muffler that is attached to the gas tank. That is the only hangar I have on there. Everything is held on by my exhaust manifolds and that one hangar is what it looks like. My guess is that the guys at the shop did a lousy job and didn't support the cat and all the sections evenly. So it has that slope that you are talking about. Take it back if you can and tell them that it's hanging too low.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts