J-Body Automobiles Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello I am 16 years old, have a nice 3.1 z with 96k miles on it. I already have a ram air system, and a k&m filter, but i am completly lost on where to go from here, i was thinking maybe turbo, but can't find any. please suggest a couple of mods and maybe a couple of your favorite sites? please? thanks alot.

Kenny

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
try http://www.j-body.org could look for the 91-94 sunbird turbo it is a bolt on application, if just take the whole engine and transplant into your car, and take computer. Try a superchip for high-end power, and could use a slightly larger throttle body (tb) along with a higher lb/hr fuel pump. Im tryin to do both to my car now, but can find a decent sunbird turbo that isnt really warn down. LURCH

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
do you mean that the 91-94 sunbird turbo would bolt up on my car?
thanks for the reply, do you suggest a cat back system? know of any good companies that make one for a 90 cav?
thanks big guy(lurch)

Kenny

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hey, this is kenny, you replied to my post on jason's j-body page, first
of all thanks.
another thing, are you saying that the 91 turbo for a sunbird would work
in my car? or are you saying that i should engine swap to a 91 sunbird powertrain?
also do you know where i could find sport shocks and struts?

I know i am asking alot ofquestions, but the only thing i know how to work
on it a 302 5.0( a far cry from a 3.1) any help you can give is greatly
appreciated.
by the way if i sound like a kid, it's cause i'm 16

kenny

·
Super Moderator
7,650 Posts
The sunbird Turbo is a 4 banger though. I wouldnt swap out a 6 for a 4 I would like to go turbo, and i think the best option for this is to swap in a Turbo 3.1 from the 89-90 Grand Prix TGP. Should be very minimal modifications required to make it work, i am sure it would be much easier than the sunbird turbo, plus it makes more power.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Kenny, There is also a company, raceshop.com, that makes turbos and superchargers that bolt onto the 3.1. They're a bit pricy though.

-Mabe

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Raceshop is very expensive, from what i hear they have excellent products though. Being that my parents are car dealers i have seen and driven many different styles and brands of cars over the years, and i have driven a sunbird turbo that was a 3.1 engine, i believe that it was a 3.1 i may be incorrect but im pretty sure about that, i will look into it tonite throught our books. (No offense intended to jason, but ill look tonite) LURCH

·
Super Moderator
7,650 Posts
The only car a 3.1 turbo was ever offered in was the 89-90 Grand Prix TGP. Dont know why this was the case, but the turbo 3.1 was never seen in a J-Body. The turbo engine in the sunbird is a 2.0L 4 cyl, 165 HP, 175 Torque, and was offered starting from 1987 - 90. A 1.8L turbo producing 150 HP was offered before that. I would love for you to prove me wrong Lurch, but i am pretty sure on this one

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ON the 90 gtp, it was a twin turbo 3.1 do you still think it would fit under the hood? being a twin?
thanks for your help guys.
and do you suggest a catback?

·
Super Moderator
7,650 Posts
**** - When did the sunbird have the 3.1 turbo?

Kenny - TWIN turbo? i don't think so! where did you hear that? it was only a single. same engine in 89 and 90.

<LINK_TEXT text="http://members.nbci.com/_XMCM/gm_w_body ... .html">See">http://members.nbci.com/_XMCM/gm_w_body/motors/vin-v.html">See</LINK_TEXT></URL> the engine specs here

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
no no no not in the sunbird, in the grand prix, 89-90 tgp it was a twin turbo, pretty sure on this one.

and do you guys suggest a cat back?
thanks for all your posts guys

·
Super Moderator
7,650 Posts
The TGP was not a Twin Turbo,it was a single, and the Sunbird never had the turbo. If you beleive differently, show me some proof!

Anyway, your question about a cat back. I would just go with a hi-flow cat and a performance muffler. You could maybe go with 2.5" pipe, but i think gains would be minimal. And if you went with mandrel bent pipe, that would be quite expensive, and i doubt it would be worth the money. Just my opinion.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.