J-Body Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok guys i have 500 dollars to spend and i wanna get the most performance i can, all suggestions needed, Raven if you could please leave a little info and send me in the right direction

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
send it to me and i will personally install and test various performance parts and give you full report of what you should buy :D :wink:

·
Registered
362 Posts
Well, for $500 you can get a start on buying the parts. A gasket set (Felpro) alone will set you back $200, a cam $150, pistons $160 (unless you want forged at close to $100 each) uh oh we're already over $500 and we haven't included machine shop work, ported and polished heads, valve train parts, moly piston rings, new oil pump, new water pump, 62 mm throttle body, ported and polished exhaust and intake manifolds, custom intake, new cam and crank bearings, and on and on. You also probably don't want your new motor to run through a dirty radiator so you have to get a new one or at least clean out the old one. Then incidentals like spark plugs, new plug wires, oil, antifreeze, belts, clamps and other things will set you back about $200. Start with buying the parts you know you will need until you decide on a final plan for your engine.

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
go with a comp or crane cams camshaft.

but yes you can do any cam with the hybrid setup.

im currently using COMP CAMS #16-233-4 camshaft.

212 degree's duration at .050 lift. with .440 valve lift with stock 1.5 rockers.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i plan on following your hybrid list of parts just maybe not as extensive, would it still be a good cam? and would i have to get new lifters?

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
jimz24 said:
i plan on following your hybrid list of parts just maybe not as extensive, would it still be a good cam? and would i have to get new lifters?
post the cam specs and they will proboly be abel to tell you more info :D

·
Premium Member
17,284 Posts
jakerooni said:
^^^^^ exactly which is why I said suspension :D the beastiest motor in the world isn't going to do dick unless your suspension can handle it. and since your only starting with $500 I'd go there.
Kinda like the guy with the 3400 in Cedal Falls with the shitty suspension!

Brad

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.