J-Body Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
heh... just kidding...

although i did think it once or twice tonight while I was cleaning my throttle body and installing the heater bypass.

You made it sound so EASY!!! It was NOT. First of all, those hoses were impossible to get off. It took me almost an hour just to remove them (although at first I was trying to play it cool and get them off fully intact. That didn't happen.) I *REALLY* mangled those hoses. I think it was kind of a revenge thing, after trying so damn hard to get them off without hurting them.

THEN, once I get them off, the stupid hose doesn't fit. The angle of the two coolant lines is so awkward that the hose would have to curve 2 or 3 times to make the connection without kinking. Eventually I had to just hack off a chunk of one of the lines to give the hose some more room. My coolant line is about 3/4" shorter now
That part (after trying for a long time to get the hose to fit) took me about another hour and a half to two hours.

Cleaning the throttle body was a cinch. Took me all of 15 mins. The heater plate on the bottom was REALLY stubborn, though, so it's still on there. I had full access to the torx screws, they just didn't want to turn no matter how hard I tried.

Anyways, here's a picture of my MANGLED hose. The circled piece is the chunk of the metal coolant line that I had to hack off. There were actually a lot more bits of the hose that fell down into the engine bay that I never found.

<LINK_TEXT text="http://www.v6z24.com/pictures/users/kin ... TBhose.jpg">http://www.v6z24.com/pictures/users/king93bird/TBhose.jpg</LINK_TEXT></URL>>

Ugh... I was doing this whole thing in a sweaty little garage, too. I need a shower. Now.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
hey... I just realized - I just popped my performance-mod cherry! The only other stuff I've done has been aesthetic.

Next week brings the intake.

·
Registered
221 Posts
You think you were in a mess? Once I mangled and removed my hoses, I tried to take off the heater plate. Two torx screws are like a permenant fixture, so I decided to leave that. After that, my new hose kept kinking. I decided to drive to AutoZone to get a better hose like that. Overheated. Sprayed coolant everywhere. Turned on my fan override, left the hood part-way open, and limped to AutoZone. Did another fix. Lasted a day. Limped to the local little guy, who FINALLY had a good hose. Leaked. Limped home after doing the change in the parking lot, then got the clamps from the old hoses. FINALLY. $10 of antifreeze later, I'm all set. Need to clean the engine bay. Gunked and hosed everything.

Fun stuff!

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
okay, you win... for now.
Remember that I just did this a few hours ago. I took a quick ride around town, and haven't noticed any problems... yet.

I still have time to spray some coolant of my own.
It really wouldn't surprise me, actually, seeing as my hose is set at such a funny angle, and the fact that I had to hack off some of the main tube.

·
Super Moderator
7,650 Posts
haha!
yeah, I made it sound easy in the how-to, but it seems like different year cars have the coolant lines in slightly different locations. Strange. Anyway, don't feel bad, I mangled up my hoses taking them off, and I had coolant spraying everywhere before I got it right

·
Registered
221 Posts
Oh yay, I win. I had a worse time, go me!

If you really want to test it, get on an empty straight backroad and keep the rpms around 4500 for a little while. If you're anything like me, make sure the road is on the way to a parts store.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I actually did that... didn't seem to have any problems.

If the hose leaks, how will I know?
I don't really feel like removing my TB again just to check it out.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Oh, trust me. You'll know. When you're at a stop and you can see your temp rising, smoke coming out from around the hood, or the Check Engine idiot-light... well, you'll have problems. If you've gone this far, you should be fine.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hehe.. lucky me!

Labour day here, so everything is closed except Canadian Tire... So I go there and get a hose that has a nice L shape in it, and 2 stainless steel clamps (9.64$ CDN).

Get home, take the whole throtle-body off, including the throtle cables, tear it apart, including the bottom heater plate and the top plate with 5 TORX screws. Even took off the sensor on the side of the T/B. Cleaned everything out. Whole thing took maybe an hour to take apart, clean, put back together, including the throtle boby bypass.

Everything works fine, minor improvements, better throtle response.

Dave

1 - 9 of 9 Posts