J-Body Automobiles Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am about to put the aluminum intake onto my '90 Z and i was wondering if could you tell me what kind of coupling you have to connect the TB and the intake tube?? i looked and i can't find an aluminum one, all i found was a rubber one. I think it may be that the rubber ones are for plumbing and the aluminums might be for heating/cooling. i didn't look in that part of the hardware store but any help would be appreciated.Thanks.
Z24Dogg

·
Super Moderator
7,650 Posts
Go ahead and use the rubber one. The coupling that I have has rubber on the inside, it just has an aluminum covering for looks. The plain rubber one will be just fine.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Moon about how long from end to end is your aluminum coupling? I know it is 3" in diatmeter but i'm talkin about the other way. I think the rubber one may be too long, it looks longer than the one in your pics on the how-to. Thanks
Z24Dogg

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I got one more quick one moon. When you got your tubing from JCWhitney did you clean out all the gunk on the inside and what did you use to do it if you did? Thanks.
Z24Dogg

·
Super Moderator
7,650 Posts
oops, I forgot to answer your last question. I meant to go out and measure that morning. Anyway, my coupling is 2 inches wide.

And yes, I cleaned out all the gunk inside the tubing first. I just used soap and water, as that was all I had at the moment (at school in my dorm room )

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah the original rubber one was too long, it was like 4 inches so i went and finally found an aluminum one on my third try. I got the tube cut (i took it to a mechanic and he cut it for me, it was a lot faster than the hack saw )now it is painted and i'm waitin to put it on tomorrow. to clean it out i used trichlorethelyne (sp?). My dad had some from his work and that stuff can eat away anything, so that worked well. Thanks for the help moon.
Z24Dogg

·
Registered
32 Posts
Speaking of the intake. I have a quick question. Does any company actually make this kind of intake kit for 2nd gen cavaliers? My friend is arguing that you can buy them but I have never seen one before. Not for 2nd gen cavs anyways.

·
Registered
221 Posts
The second-gens are rather neglected. I haven't seen any advertised, not like it's a big deal - it's a rather wasy job.

·
Super Moderator
7,650 Posts
Mantapart sells basically the same intake as on my site for $175. <LINK_TEXT text="http://webhome.idirect.com/~rsm1/jbody_ ... tm">RSM</a">http://webhome.idirect.com/~rsm1/jbody_catalog.htm">RSM</a</LINK_TEXT></URL>> sells the pretty much the same thing for $120.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I went to R&D Speed Shop in Hampton, NH not too long ago. They had an intake like moon's for $180 or a cold air intake for $300.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I got my intake on finally!! I did definetly notice it has a bit more power and it is louder also. I like it a lot. Thanks for all the help. My next step is to replace the weather stripping or whatever right under the window. I have a '90 Z and mine is all cracked and pieces just started fallin off. Do i have to take off the door panel to replace it and if so how do i take the door panel off? Thanks for the help.
Z24Dogg

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
You can find those couplers at any store like Home Depot, Lowe's etc. Goto the plumbing section you'll find them there. i did!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.