J-Body Automobiles Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the difference between using Moon's air intake design and a K&N drop in filter?

It seems to me you might get more power from the drop in because of the cowl induction, because I don't think Moon's system uses the induction, does it?

·
Super Moderator
7,650 Posts
Well, my intake setup:
1) the aluminum tubing provides a smoother path for the air to flow through
2) The cone filter can take in more air, and get get cooler air blowing into it at higher speeds
3) The stock cowl induction doesn't really pull in much air in the first place. Any air that is drawn in still goes directly to the filter, since the filter is still right below the inlet inside the hood

·
Registered
15 Posts
I also have Moon's custom intake on my 93 z24....works fine...sounds better...runs better...no downsides as of yet...I think its' a great mod...good job Moon...keep em coming.

G

·
I don't understand how moon's sytem gets cooler air without using the cowel induction, especially in the hot summer when the engine compartment is boiling....

·
Registered
15 Posts
ok you know those "fake" hood scoops in your 91-93 z24? Those vents right behind them acctually suck in air from the outside pulling it into the filter...dont believe me? it's ok...my dad's an auto mechanic...I'd take his word...he's kept my Z running from 93 when he bought it brand new...now has 121,000 miles and still runs great!

·
Registered
22 Posts
the stock cowl induction doesn't get much air, and with the throttle body heater, it isn't cool air. moons setup gets way more air to the engine, and when you bypass the throttle body heater, and paint the pipe with a ceramic coated paint it pushes cooler air. and you could do the fan override switch, and cut vents in your hood to help cool off the engine. and you can form some type of sheet metal or something to go around the filter to help block the engine heat. use your head, there's all kinds of things you can do, along with moons setup, to keep the air cool.

·
Registered
827 Posts
the incoming air for the "fake" cowl induction doesn't come from behind the cowls, it comes from underneath the front of the hood by the hood latch. There's a small opening on the hood that is totally visible and routes non-dirty air to the stock air box. The vents behind the cowls suck in air for the blower.

Mev

·
Registered
254 Posts
What I have done is on the stock intake, put some dry ice in the middle of the filter. It does not melt and make water, it only makes gas. Its cold and it works i tried it once on my friends car and it really works, its alittle more expensive to buy alot of ice everytime you run at the tracks than just getting the intake. But it worked for me. You can also get an intake already done for 2nd gens here

http://webhome.idirect.com/~rsm1/jbody_catalog.htm

·
Registered
133 Posts
Ok, ladies, obviously none of us here has fluid dynamics engineering degrees but lets get to the bottom line. The Cowl IS FUNCTIONAL...The 'bumps" on the hood creates an area of pressure which is different from he rest of the inside of the hood, this creates the effect of pressurized air moving or being sucked into the area between the hood which the air box draws its air from. This pressure is created at higher speeds like on the highway, the pressure is formed right after the bumps on the hood and the windshield....

·
Super Moderator
7,650 Posts
Yes, i realize that the cowls are indead functional, and I understand how they work The only thing is, the space in the hood for the air to flow from the cowls isn't really all that great, so I don't think it is really getting a substantial amount of air I know the ass dyno isn't an accurate measuring device, but I definately could feel a difference with my intake, especially at higher RPM's

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well, Moon's made a case, so I'm going to go ahead and use his intake...I mean, the intake is going to help out, and the cowl is STILL going to function, so I guess it's using the best of both worlds.

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
dj_krisz said:
You can also get an intake already done for 2nd gens here

http://webhome.idirect.com/~rsm1/jbody_catalog.htm
3.1 Ind Sys $189.99 or $(US)119.99 .. hmm compared to about $60 CAN to make it yourself.. is there really a doubt in anyones mind as to which one to get?

the only difefrence i can see is the "RSM" sticker... am i paying ~$130 for a sticker Hahaha

·
Registered
17 Posts
ok i looked at those links. and i noticed you have a 89 there. but the 3.1 was from 90. so does that work for you? my deal is i got a new engine for my 89 and then got rear ended and transferred the engine to a 90. so i have a 90 with an 89 2.8 so my question is what intake can i buy to fit? and also where can i get it? and do any of you think our z's sit too high? do you know about where to buy some lowering springs? thanks

·
Registered
165 Posts
I put the cold air intake on my 92 Z and i can notice a big difference as to the cowls, the take off is alot more solid, and i gain speed alot better than before, the cowls suck, there is too many obsticles going through the cowls and hood, i have intake, now i need to get it out of there faster, next thing is dual exhaust

·
Registered
651 Posts
about the dry ice topic... dry ice goes from a solid stage to a gas stage in one step(sublimation)or something like that.. well.. the gas that it releases is carbon dioxide witch doesn't burn? i puts out flames more than it promotes them???? but if u think it makes u go faster more power to u...

·
Registered
48 Posts
Looking at a Z24 there is a rubber weather seal and firewall separating the engine compartment from the cowl and intake for the heating/cooling system. Where does the air go for the engine, could someone make a diagram to bury this topic?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.