J-Body Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where and how did you guys learn how to ride? I am thinking about learning but have never even rode a dirt bike. :oops: Any advice for starting out (I don't have a bike currently).

·
Registered
5,490 Posts
I rode an auto dirt bike once for hours, and a manual one for like 20 minutes.. But that was before I learnedmanual in cars... So given my banlance on two wheels, and average shifting in a car, I'm sure it shouldnt be too hard..

But yeah, I want to learn to... I have a friend with a bike he wants to fix up and I wanna learn on that... So dno...

Im sure learninng just by itself is a life moving expirience itself

·
Registered
8,922 Posts
girlracer said:
been riding since i was 5 enough said 8)
that doesnt help, lol anyway yea im pretty much in the same boat as him, ive never rode a dirt bike either and id love to learn to ride a motorcycle. I know there are classes you can take but dunno if they require you to bring a bike or they supply it. They have weekend courses around here and you also get your permit at the end of it.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
88cavalierz24 said:
girlracer said:
been riding since i was 5 enough said 8)
that doesnt help, lol anyway yea im pretty much in the same boat as him, ive never rode a dirt bike either and id love to learn to ride a motorcycle. I know there are classes you can take but dunno if they require you to bring a bike or they supply it. They have weekend courses around here and you also get your permit at the end of it.
Yeah i know in CT they have courses and supply the bikes. Upon completion you can get your license without a test at the dmv. The thing is I obviously want to learn as much as I can (safely) and was curious if there was any other ways besides just "hands on" experience. I don't want to kill myself on day 2. :-?

·
Premium Member
10,540 Posts
They have classes you can take. I have a friend that is taking classes in Sept. So look up your local Abate or other motorcycle group. Even taking classes might help your insurance rates after you get a bike.

gotta go, going to be late for work, riding the bike today :)

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
I have an old 73 Harley I screw around with in the woods, I just kind of learn by trial and error. I still cant figure out the damn shift sequence. I think somethings wrong with it because it just skips like 4 gears sometimes. lmao.

I agree, just buy an old POS like I have and use it to learn, thats what I'm doing.

Here you can usually get an old bike for $200 or so that runs

·
Registered
4,294 Posts
100% take the courses. I took one with plenty of people that have never ridden and they rode great after the class. Their's a few people I know that have been riding for 20+ years and took the course and they said they learned quite a bit....

As far as bikes start off with something small.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.