J-Body Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey I have a 92 Z24 that when I first start it. The engine makes a high pitched tapping sound almost like a knock but I sounds more like a piston slap or wristpin slap. Does anyone know what I can do to make that noise lessen or go away cheaply without boaring out the cylinder. I change my oil on time everytime. I think it is coming from the bottom of the engine on the passenger side. If anyone can help I would appreciate it.
thanks
phil

·
Super Moderator
7,650 Posts
Sorry to hear that :(
How many miles are on the engine?
I am no expert on the matter, but i would say that you probably have the problem diagnosed right.
As for fixing it cheaply, i doubt that is possible. Whenever there is actually internal physical damage, especially to metal parts, there is really no way to totaly remedy it without a rebuild. If you are going to try any of that wonder in a bottle stuff, i would recommend Zmax. http://www.gozmax.com Dunno if it would work with your problem, but they actually warrent your car against and internal failure while there product in installed.
Sorry i cant be of more help. Anyone else know anything on this topic?
Good luck! :)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is it still tapping? Whats the oil pressure? Does it only do this when its cold? What Im thinking is that when its cold the oil isnt really running free, but as soon as it warms up the oil runs free cause it gets thinner. My monte carlo does this(dont worry i have a 89 z24) but I wouldnt really worry about it. The 3.1 is one of the best engines chevy made, a little tap in the beggining wont hurt to much.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the reply. I have yet to add any engine treatment but I will try that stuff you suggested. I have always been told that the 3.1 is the strongest engine chevy made as well. I hope that it is nothing to worry about as well. It does only do it when it is cold. I am going to run it till it stops and then pick me up a used one at a salvage yard if it dies. thanks for the advice
yours truely
phil brown

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey id try using a slightly heavier oil, it WILL WORK. but its really only a temporary solution. usually only a rebuild will correct this but sometimes its just best to keep on pushing the enigne till youve used every last bit of life out of the engine, then consider rebuild. its a great engine it will last you for a lot longer, as ive had this same problem before it kept running for another 75,000 miles before i sold it and it was still going. Lurch

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey, i had the same problem, well from what i think ur talking about, i had a wrapping noise coming from the lower end, i got it checked out right away, i found out i spun a bearing in the crankshaft and it lead to a lot of other problems, and all the metal peices were everywhere, so i had to make the decision to get it rebuilt or buy a new one, well i bought a brand new 3.1L engine, it cost a lot, but i'm glad, i'm so happy with it now, Bill 92 Z24 owner

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hey it might not be as bad as you think im not sure about your year cav but my 93 has a knock sensor you might wanna check that. 8)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts