J-Body Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

· Registered
3,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok heres the deal. on sunday i went to the drag strip and the fastest time i could pull of was a 16.4. that is freaking sad for my car cuz it was running consistent 16.2s last year. the only things i have changed is that i went from a flowmaster muffler and catback pipe to a high flow cat with louvered resonator(more on this later), and the ffp underdrive pulley. now my questoin is could a louvered resonator slow me down two tenths of a second or should i get the engine looked at? the only things i could think of are that the resonator is killing my performance, and before i got rid of my a-pilar guages my air/fuel ratio gauge was all the way up to rich all the time. i figured tha gauge had gone bad so i didn't worry about it. but now i'm thinking about it and would the guage being on full rich all the time indicate a failing oxygen sensor? i'm just trying to make sense of this cuz i should be runing alot faster than 16.4

· Registered
3,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the track wasn't that bad at all. i don't think it could have been bad enough to slow me down that much. my 60' times were only off by one hundreth of a second

· Registered
42 Posts
sometimes the track clocks can be off by a few tenths of a second. It happens at the track where I live quite often. My z24 was off by 4 tenths of a second the WHOLE time I was racing. Then they told everyone the clocks were off. When they set them the right way it was all back on track. So check with the track if you don't find out what's wrong by then.

· Registered
2,269 Posts
ok heres the deal. on sunday i went to the drag strip and the fastest time i could pull of was a 16.4. that is freaking sad for my car cuz it was running consistent 16.2s last year.
it CAN be other things than just your exhaust..

last year i ran consistent 14.6's,14.7's, and 14.8's...

this year untill just last month the best i could manage was a 14.8 and consistent low 15's.....

the main bulk of the problem was a stretched timing chain. and the engine is just getting plain tired...
so i did a few things in the quest to regain and find more power.

chaged the rocker arms to 1.6:1 from 1.52,
bumped the compression ratio up to around 10.5-11:1.
put in a custom crank scraper,
windage tray,
reported the heads,
smoothed the complete whole runner in the lower intake manifold,
bored out my t/b from 56mm to 60mm.
added a bully stage 2 clutch,
Koni rear shocks (FIRM! :D).
BFG KD tyres.
changed the muffler from a flowmaster 80 series running dual outlets to a single flowmaster 40 series.
changed the timing chain as it was so stretched you could pull it off the cam gear.
added in a EP LSD.

and the result... 14.59..... all that work.... from last years 14.64 to this years best of 14.59 --track conditions were bad. about 0-5 degree's that day. not ideal for hooking up.
there are days you go to the track and you just dont run right. thats the way it is.

i know so many guys that i go to the track with that run good times one weekend, the next they cant pull off anything close again.

.2 seconds is fairly close for a different track day... its hard to say "track conditions were exactly the same" as they are hardly that. was the pavement the same exact temp? what way was the wind moving.? what was the exact humidity?. was the air temp exactly the same...

if you start now always running 16.4's then yes you could have maybe a problem. but one track day does not entirely point to a problem.

not saying you dont have a problem somewhere. it COULD be your exhaust setup... maybe maybe not?
it could be your engine getting tired out.... maybe?

it sucks when you run a time and then all of a sudden you cant run the same times... i know the feeling all to well..

· Premium Member
7,158 Posts
yep it all depends...

some days i can't get any tracktion and i only run high 14's or 15's

or if its too hot and humid the car runs like shit

and if your not at the track every weekend you may have to kinda re-learn where most of the power is....

now since i started doing some more street racing im not as rusty when i go to the track last time i went my first run was a 14.73 @ 93.94 mph hahahah

· Registered
2,269 Posts
evil arch nemesis said:

yup word to that... i'll agree with you on that point. same here.

its too funny when you do a good launch and run a nice 14.6 or something run, then you fuk the launch get a 2.5 60 foot and spin through all of 1st and end up with like a 15.4... arhghgghg..

that or the worst is when your transmission/shifter gives out at the track, and you only have 1st 2nd 3rd... no fourth so you rip down the track and pull a 9.3 second 1/8th mile doing like 76mph, and then have to coast down the track across the 1/4 line just doing 77mph and 15.5... LOL....
ahahaa... 9.3 second 1/8th with a 15.5 coasting across the 1/4 mile..
I hate my shifter.

· Premium Member
7,158 Posts
evil just a bit faster than me guy said:
evil arch nemesis said:

yup word to that... i'll agree with you on that point. same here.

its too funny when you do a good launch and run a nice 14.6 or something run, then you fuk the launch get a 2.5 60 foot and spin through all of 1st and end up with like a 15.4... arhghgghg..

that or the worst is when your transmission/shifter gives out at the track, and you only have 1st 2nd 3rd... no fourth so you rip down the track and pull a 9.3 second 1/8th mile doing like 76mph, and then have to coast down the track across the 1/4 line just doing 77mph and 15.5... LOL....
ahahaa... 9.3 second 1/8th with a 15.5 coasting across the 1/4 mile..
I hate my shifter.
even tho i hate you, i still wanted to see what you would have ran with that 9.3 1/8 mile lol
just messing with the hating you part LOL :lol:

· Registered
2,269 Posts
even tho i hate you, i still wanted to see what you would have ran with that 9.3 1/8 mile lol
just messing with the hating you part LOL
awwww dawg.. your such a kidder... :lol: i know you dont hate me... and i dont hate you.
but when it comes down to the title of "fastest N/A 660 Jbody" well.. i have to treat you like your well... a dawg.. LOL

ah good buddy..... put her there pal! (sends big hug to dan) LMAO.

· Registered
1,724 Posts
hey dawg you should be able to be the quickest N/A j-body this year, I almost have some more bolt-ons ready for you to try :wink: should do it your only less then a 10th off :pimp:

· Registered
2,269 Posts
hey dawg you should be able to be the quickest N/A j-body this year, I almost have some more bolt-ons ready for you to try should do it your only less then a 10th off
Hey! stay out of this scoot! :nono:

i want to keep my fastest n/a 660 title for two years in a row... dont make me come out to ontario to run head to head with dan! (my track is closed for the winter :()

:moon:

· Registered
1,724 Posts
v6h.o. said:
hey dawg you should be able to be the quickest N/A j-body this year, I almost have some more bolt-ons ready for you to try should do it your only less then a 10th off

i want to keep my fastest n/a 660 title for two years in a row... dont make me come out to ontario to run head to head with dan! (my track is closed for the winter :()

:D well you have had it up till now so dan should get it this year then I will have it next year :wink:

· Premium Member
7,158 Posts
z_two_4 said:
v6h.o. said:

:D well you have had it up till now so dan should get it this year then I will have it next year :wink:
scott is right, i want it this year and i'll take it next year :evil: muhahahhahahhaaha

im gonna be happy if i make it back to the track this year anyways :cry:

· Registered
1,724 Posts
z24dawg said:
z_two_4 said:
v6h.o. said:

scott is right, i want it this year and i'll take it next year :evil: muhahahhahahhaaha

im gonna be happy if i make it back to the track this year anyways :cry:
you know that I have the N/A title wraped up for next year :wink:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.