J-Body Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!

My 90 Z24 was running fine; then started hesitating, then stalled. Would re-start, run a bit and then do it again. Finally, it wouldn?t start. I had it towed and the mechanic told me there was almost no fuel pressure; certainly not enough to run the car, and that it would cost way more than the car is worth to fix it. He said I had to get a new gas tank to replace the pump, and then replace all the fuel lines. He has said before the underside is pretty rusty, but I had hoped to keep the car for a bit longer.

Anyone have any advice on how to best fix this? I am not a great mechanic, but I have replaced brake lines, rotors, wheel bearings and such; fairly basic stuff. Any help if greatly appreciated. Please explain as thoroughly as possible, as I?m not that familiar with working on cars.

·
Administrator
25,608 Posts
Gas tanks aren't bad.. i bet you could pick up a whole tank and used pump for around $50 at the junk yard.

they aren't too bad to replace, the more fuel in the tank, the harder it is. Probably a few hrs to do the first time.. just stock up on a few 2x4's, a jack or 2 and a can of PB Blaster.. along with a ratchet, 6-8" extention, 15mm socket, flathead screwdriver and a small hammer if you have to take the pump assembly out (for the lock ring)

PS, if you can get it fixed, you should come to the bash :wink:

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
he's full of BS.. the new pump costs between $70 and $90 and you only need to drop the fuel tank to change the pump.. the tank doesnt need replacement unless its leaking.

·
Administrator
25,608 Posts
pezed said:
he's full of BS.. the new pump costs between $70 and $90 and you only need to drop the fuel tank to change the pump.. the tank doesnt need replacement unless its leaking.
It's pretty common up in this region for the topside of the tank to get rusty, i had to change the one on my '89 for that reason.. rusted out and started leaking whenever you filled it up. :-?

scott0999 said:
whitelightning2 said:
flathead screwdriver and a small hammer if you have to take the pump assembly out (for the lock ring)
remember a spark from using a screwdriver and hammer on the lock ring can be very bad!! lol

use brass!!!
Or a rubber mallet... :p

·
Premium Member
10,540 Posts
how funny, not for you, but i'm replacing my fuel pump tomorrow and a few other things so i can make it to the bash.

btw... you should come to the bash

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks everyone!

I?m going to have to get out the manual and see if it seems like something I can manage. I haven?t actually seen anything yet; the car is still at his shop. He seemed to think that it was so rusty that all of the lines should be replaced. I wouldn?t mind replacing all of that if I can do it reasonably cheaply, since it would minimize any future problems.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
yea dude u can do it! Oh and go to the Bash i havent yet but after my creation is done i'll be crusin down hopefully next year! BTW It sounds like a great time!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.