J-Body Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went in to work with my dad this morning so that I could drive back and use his rental to go to work tonight and save me some gas money, I'm cruising home on the autoroute, Light traffic, and I'm in no rush to get home, I don't even want to be here right now..anyway, I'm doing about 85Km/H, limits 100, minimum is 60, my turns coming up anyway, suddenly I get flashing lights in the rearview mirror, I slow down and stop, ask what the problem is, tells me I was doing 135 in a 100 zone... I was like what?! I don't have insurance papers on me because it's a rental, so he takes my license and goes back to the car, comes back with a 225$ speeding ticket, I tried to talk to him and see if I could see the radar but he just tells me to drive slower and walks away, he leaves, I start the car, and look at the speedo..My dad drives long haul to the states ,he's a trucker...He had the speedo set on MPH...I'm going nuts right now, the cop didn't see so I can't present that in court, and to boot the guy didn't even spell my name properly on the ticket! :guns:

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
mat_vs_world said:
because now the ticket is consiterd inacurate.. I've done this on a ticket before where the cop said I was going 32 in a 45 when really he ment 55 how? i have not a clue but I fought it and won because it was an innaccurate statemetn on the ticket. you can go to court and say this is not my name you must have the wrong person.. I'd bet my .50 pay check that you will win.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ya I'm going to take it to court, once I get the statement in the mail giving me the court date, I'm going to change it to an odd day(hopefully he won't show up), i think it's possible to get a plea bargain, some speeding tickets get worked down to a seatbelt violation that way I think, Hopefully the name thing will help me out, I mean there were two cops in the car one wrote up the ticket, the other signed off on it as well, I'm assuming this is done to avoid mistakes..Looks like neither of them felt like paying too much attention this morning

·
Registered
369 Posts
normally this is when I say "I don't care what they got wrong on the ticket as long as you were speeding YOU were in the wrong get over it and pay the fine" but with you I'd fight it. I'm taking Criminal Justice classes and one of the first things they teach you is to make sure any thing you sign is accurate whether is be your report a ticket whatever make sure it's accurate and if between the two of them they can't get it right then I'd fight it. I can understand if it was only one of them but between the two come on now :roll:. As far as I'm concerned I don't care if your speedo was set for MPH, not that I'm trying to be an ass but regardless you were speeding whether or not you knew it.

But in the end my advise to you is fight it just to try to teach those officers a lesson that way they are more likely to pay attention and get it right on something more important.

I'm sorry if I came across like a ass thats not the way it is meant.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The cop was an ass, I tried asking him if I could see the radar when he gave me the ticket and he just walked away despite the fact that I said "Excuse me sir" about 3 times, is there any chance of winning?

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
mat_vs_world said:
The cop was an ass, I tried asking him if I could see the radar when he gave me the ticket and he just walked away despite the fact that I said "Excuse me sir" about 3 times, is there any chance of winning?
yep tell the court what you just said. thats also in your favor

·
Registered
5,490 Posts
Yeah, under the officers signature it says something like:

"I verify that the facts set forth on this citatioon are true and correct to the best of my knowledge, information, and belief. This verification is made subject to the penalties of Section 4094 of the Crimes Code (18 pa.C.S. 4904) relating to unsworn falsification to authorities"

Sooo.. Take it to court :p

·
Registered
311 Posts
mat_vs_world said:
Theres always a chance... I dont know how blatantly ignoring you, when you were trying to get his attention will hold up, but a wrong name verified by 2 cops has to hold some water.

Was there anyone else on the road when you were driving, that could have tipped you off to your 85 being a little fast? And what kind of car was it that it didnt seem like you were doing 120+?

·
Registered
408 Posts
I havent got a ticket in awhile but i used to get them all the time, and man let me tell u, i took them all to court, its ure right to do it, and i guarantee you that even if u dont win, just by goin to court with it, it will be lowered to a smaller fine if not thrown out for the reasons you mentioned. And if anything if you file it to go to court you wont get a court date for like another 6 to 8 months so even if u have to pay it wont be as soon as not taking it to court, so either way its a win win situation

G

·
I'd fight it, and just showing up may lower the cost. My sister got nabbed speeding and we went and the cop came and asked us to come outside, he did not feel like fighting anything and made a deal w/ us. Most of time that is what happens because most officers do BS tickets and they almost freak when they see the law breaker at the court or whatever going to try and fight it.

The funny thing about my sisters ticket was she had a Beretta when the cop stopped her but not long afterwards my parents got her a Mustang as a gift for good grades and such so when we left the cop came out and flipped "hey, you got a mustang?" My mom said, "yep, she earned it." It was hilarious(he was a young punk trying to prove something).

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
imonfyre said:
mat_vs_world said:
Theres always a chance... I dont know how blatantly ignoring you, when you were trying to get his attention will hold up, but a wrong name verified by 2 cops has to hold some water.

Was there anyone else on the road when you were driving, that could have tipped you off to your 85 being a little fast? And what kind of car was it that it didnt seem like you were doing 120+?
It was the 2007 GPGT, It's such a smooth ride, there were some other cars, but it isn't unusual to see people doing 80~90 in light traffic early in the morning on that autoroute, I'm used to driving my camaro until I get a smaller economy car, as soon as I pass 100 in my Z28 I can feel it, I don't care about the money, it's more the suspension, I think I have 4 points left, wich would be great because I would still be in the clear, I'd just have to take it easy with my 1 point left, But if I only have three I am screwed...Then I'll have to go back to court for a restricted license, or lose my job..fun fun

·
Registered
82 Posts
Your SOL, the judge is gonna tell you that its your responsibility to insure that everything is kosher before you start driving, including"insurance papers, ownership, license+ valid sticker"and everything works "lights, brake lights+turn signals). if you cant tell between 85k/hr and 85mph then thats BS. Your gonna insult the judge and prosecutor if anything. Plead guilty, ask for no points and pay the fine and then ask for 120days to pay. I promise you thats the best way, my friends is a prosecutor..i'm not telling you cause "i think" thats the best way. GLWTT

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
plo said:
Your SOL, the judge is gonna tell you that its your responsibility to insure that everything is kosher before you start driving, including"insurance papers, ownership, license+ valid sticker"and everything works "lights, brake lights+turn signals). if you cant tell between 85k/hr and 85mph then thats BS. Your gonna insult the judge and prosecutor if anything. Plead guilty, ask for no points and pay the fine and then ask for 120days to pay. I promise you thats the best way, my friends is a prosecutor..i'm not telling you cause "i think" thats the best way. GLWTT
i'm not even bringing up the mph/kph thing, just gonna go with everything else

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.