J-Body Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally got my Quaife transferred into the 93 case (I somehow cracked the case of my orig 91 trans). I think the crack may have been caused by the hybrid gear set that I put together not being assemlbed quite all the way, and/or not shimmed right.

I got it all painted up tonight and even took apart the selector "box" and cleaned it all up and painted all the pieces and reassembled.

Pics

For those unfamiilar with the quaife. (this is from the first time I assembled it, Im now using themetal vss ring with the 93 trans)

and all back together

Should be bolting it up tomorrow along with the drivers side suspension. Shouldnt be long now and ill be trying to start it.

Dan

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
thats not right, its way too clean! the quaife is a nice unit though, hopefully everything works out :D

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think it will work out better this time. I havent messed with the gearing at all. I think on my hybrid gears I didnt quite have somethign pressed together all the way. And I dont htink it was shimmed right. I have the GM shim tool, but I followed the service manual instructions. I measured the stock shims from the newer trans and they were done per the tools instructions. Anyway I think everyhting should be perfect this time.

I will probably go back to building a hybrid setup someday, but for now the stock 93 2.2 gearing will have to do, ever so short as it may be. :(

And nothing can ever be too clean!! haha

Dan

·
Registered
4,210 Posts
See... I'm not so dumb after all :rotfl:

Thanx... but they don't make one for the HM 282... why is that I wonder? Or is that answer related to the abundance of 3rd gens and now the Cobalts etc. <SIZE size="75">(com'on say yes... i'm shootin' for the "2 for 2" on answering my own questions.)</SIZE>

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
They dont even make them for the Isuzu anymore, they havent in years actually. I only got mine b/c someone in the UK needed one for his 'insert name of car i cant remember' and paid to have 30 more built. Then most of them came to the us to j-body guys, one of which was me. I got it on a sweet deal at 750 bux.

So unless someone pays to have 30 more made, there wont be anymore.

Dan

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.