J-Body Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As if I dont have enough to do I decided that the moroso parts that I had just wouldnt fit. So Im setting out to make my own air/oil separator, for between the motor and a future vaccum pump setup Im working on, and a catchcan for after the pump. Most likely for now Ill just use the catchcan half to vent the crankcase into.

I dont have much done yet other than the tanks (two so I can seal them from each other) bent up and I sourced some sight glass pieces so I can keep an eye on the internal oil level of each.

The rest of the bungs and the filter for the catch can are due in tomorrow. Hopefully I can get the end pieces cut up tomorrow and maybee start drilling holes for bungs etc.

Few pics.

Bottom of the tanks are angled for fender well clearance as well as a "funnel" for the drains.

More to come.

Dan

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
scott0999 said:
thats gonna be a huge catch can! :eek:
only the 3" wide section wil be the catch can (its like 3x5x5 without the drain part) I didnt think it was THAT huge. Alot of the size/shape was so that I could get the fittings on it that I wanted and so that they would be pointing in sort of the right direction

The 4" wide section is for the air/oil separator.

Dan

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
actually, the separator will filter out most of the oil BEFORE the vacuum pump, then the catch can goes AFTER the pump to catch any residual oil vapor

Im NOT plumbing anything back into the intake.

Dan

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
More progress. Got all the bungs bolted on so I can easily weld them (then I drill out the final hole after). Have the filter tube made and some other pieces (no pics) that will hold hte foam for the separator, lid for the separator etc.

Hoping to have it welded up this weekend. Maybee work on the cover etc.

I also need to create a plate to fit the inner fender so that this thing has a flat spot ot mount to. Ill probably extend it under the surge tank to finish the look.

Dan

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Got it all welded up today. Its not perfect but at least I can say that I did it 100%. Its only my second aluminum TIG welding project ever so Im pretty happy.

Just need to cut a big hole in the top of the oil separator half, get the lid made, add some mounting tabs and then I can get it painted up, or maybee powder coated and installed.

Dan

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
haha, I did my fair share on this. Key is that its gotta be CLEAN. Even if it looks clean, grind it again. Any oxidization causes the metal to melt but never get "shiney". So any filler you add just balls up and doesnt stick. I had that prob a bit on this the other night. Today after grinding some, it welded fine.

Dan

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.