J-Body Automobiles Forum banner
21 - 40 of 63 Posts

· Premium Member
25,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
cahilj said:
My guess is that they were stored for a few years too, considering they haven't been produced since maybe 07-ish. Are they 712s? They were the first real street/autocross tire Kumho had.
Yep, 712's.

Chris... Long story but it's still alive and well being driven in Indiana.

Scott, 275.40.17's

I finished building the new upper and lower shock mounts last night, I went with the regular KYB's. It had Monroe Gas Magnums in it for a '95 Chevy truck before :lol:

It's on 4 wheels, just need to finish up some small stuff then i get to take it out and see how well it rides with all the new parts. 8)

· Premium Member
25,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
where?

So, today i got it all wrapped up and took it for a spin. I sprayed some crap paint on all 4 inner fenderwells to see if anything rubbed... and of course there was lots.

Tonight i started trimming excess sheet metal out of the rear wells and welding in new metal. Just more nip/tuck action. Front inners have a small bump that rubs, already cut that out of the drivers side.

Overall the car drives completely different, it's nice and tight. No random rattles, it actually turns like it should. The new rear tires hold the power pretty well...

· Premium Member
25,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Well, the snow finally melted so it's time to get to work!

a couple months ago I bought a disk brake kit for the front end. It uses 4th gen Fbody rotors and calipers with a special bracket. I'll be installing those plus a 3rd gen Camaro master to run them sometime soon.

Today I bought a new set of heads for the engine. They are World Products Sportsman 2's, 64cc chambers with 2.08 intake and 1.6 exhaust valves, 200cc runners. They've been "ported" but need to be correctly redone.

Going from stock 333882's to these with my cam should be at least an 80 HP gain, maybe more. Plus gobs more torque from the increased compression. :D

Once it warms up more i'll post up some pictures of the top end teardown/rebuild.

· Premium Member
25,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
started the teardown tonight, and one of my favorite things... detective work.

I confirmed the '882 heads were bone stock down to the press-in studs, also i'm pretty sure one is newer than the other.

I checked the cam with a dial indicator on the lifters, it actually came out to have more intake lift than the Performer RPM cam that it was said to have.. I measured .500 intake and .510 exhaust, the Edelbrock RPM cam is .488 intake/.510 exhaust. Might just pull it and check for a grind number since the engine is half apart anyways...

The pistons are L2256 which crosses to TRW/Speed-Pro Forged pistons, .030" bore.

Bores look fantastic, no scars and lots of crosshatching.

Now that I have piston specs, SCR after the new heads will be 10.42:1.

DD2K3 reports 415 HP @ 6500 and 376TQ @ 5000. I'll be happy with that for sure. :)

· Premium Member
25,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Checked the cam again, all good. It's the Performer RPM like I thought.

I pulled apart the WP heads today and freshened up the porting, the PO sanded the intake runners to at least a 240 grit at the valve throat and at the port entrance. I gave those a nice texture with a carbide cutter. Should flow better now, lol.

I also de-shrouded the intake valves, removed some casting flash then sanded the exhaust ports pretty smooth. Could have gone further on both sides but it's really not needed.

I did run into a problem swapping over the valve springs, The Edelbrock spring/retainer/lock package that was on the '882 heads needs to be at 1.7" installed height, those locks on the new heads puts them at 1.684. That leaves like .014" to coil bind at max lift. (Edelbrock specs ~.030" between CB and max lift, not good IMO...). They are also too small of a diameter so they'll move around in the pockets.

My plan right now is to buy a new set of springs that will fit the Manley retainers that came with the heads... and work with the cam. I found a set that's dead on... but it's $115 :(

· Premium Member
25,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Some pics... Descriptions in the comments.

Attachments

· Premium Member
25,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Well, it started up and ran yesterday... still have a few things to tidy up then it's on to the tuning.

Lots of small issues came up, had to run +.050" valve locks to get enough installed height. Had to modify the DS header for spark plug clearance and some other things to deal with yet.

Compression ended up right at 10.5:1, .038-.040" quench. copper coated steel head gaskets (.018-.020" compressed). I used ARP bolts which are friggin sweet.

Maybe next weekend i'll grab a video, it sounds pretty mean now. no more lazy low compression lope. :)

· Premium Member
25,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Working out some random bugs in the car and found out why I had shifting problems.

The B&M shifter is designed for a Powerglide only... It's got enough ratchet positions and works with the TH350 for the most part.. but doesn't put the trans far enough into park to engage the pawl. All the rest of the gears are perfect.

Also it should ratchet into Neutral but locks out in Drive. Probably not a good thing if things went south at the track. :-?

· Registered
1,074 Posts
sexy ass nova dave, makes me miss my 73, and i see im not the only 3rd gen camaro lover here :D

· Premium Member
25,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Thanks!

Intake gaskets failed after about 2 miles so I had to take the top end apart again, idle vacuum was down to 6-7".

It's all back together and on the street with premium gaskets. Hopefully it lasts this time.

Had to make a fairly large step up on the secondary jets to get enough fuel, i'm sure more yet is needed too. sure hauls ass now though. :D

· Registered
196 Posts
No shit! My car had those god awful 882s on it too. Junk. And the forged TRW 2256s.

What are the new heads, did I miss it? I threw some Vortecs on mine and it was pretty damn good. Bigtime bang for the buck.

21 - 40 of 63 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.