J-Body Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys. today i was driving my '89 z wheni stopped at an intersection and it stalled out. i kept starting it, but every time i shifted into any gear it would stall out again. ( by the way its and automatic) i finally got it goin after having my brother push it a little ways and nuetral dropping into drive. i got it off the busy streets and popped the hood. the engine was way too hot. i was confident it had overheated. although the gauge inside did not say so. after letting the car sit for two hours i went back and started it right up. it ran fine. when i got home i revved it up some more and got it warm, i noticed the fan wasnt going on. i turned the heater and ac on and off and then the fan finally kicked in. i get heat right away. but im unsure why the fan wasnt kicking in when the engine was warm? i am thinkin about the toggle switch mod for the fan now, seeing it doesnt go on when it should. does anyone know what the problem may be? please post your replys or e-mail me. i greatly appreciate it. thanks

"My car is nice, Your car is rice"

·
Super Moderator
7,650 Posts
This has nothing to do with your fan. It is the TCC solenoid. This is what locks up your tranny when cruising in third gear so you get better gas mileage. When it goes bad, it won't unlock when it is hot, so your car will be stuck in third gear until it cools down. This is just like driving a standard tranny and trying to start out in too high of a gear, the engine will bog and die. You need to replace the solenoid and all will be fine.

This is a very common problem on the automatic Z's
I can provide you with some more info later, but I have to get going to class now.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Moon, sounds exactly right. If u do have any more info, please fill me in. I guess I'll be headin out to get some parts this weekend. Thanks again....

"My car is nice, Your car is rice"

·
Super Moderator
7,650 Posts
Well, the part is fairly cheap, you should be able to get it for under $30. The official name for the part is the "Torque Converter Clutch solenoid" or the "Torque Converter Lock-up solenoid"

It is on the tranny (of course) and has a square black connector with 4 wires running into it.
If you don't feel like replacing it just yet, you can just unplug the connector. Your torque converter won't lock up in third if you do this, so you will run higher RPM's on the highway and as a result your gas mileage will suffer. So if you get down there to unplug it, you might as well replace it at the same time, since the money you would save on not getting the part, would be quickly spent on extra gas

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks again Moon. I'm sure I'll be getting the TCC solenoid for well under $30. My uncle is a mechanic and can usually get the hook up on everything really cheap. But for now I'll probably disconnect it until i get what i need. I will let you know the results as soon as i get that part on.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts