J-Body Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK tomorrow ill be ripping apart christines (chickie200415) car. Im going to attempt to figure out why she doesnt have heat. I have ruled out the everything else but the electrical system. It seams to me that it is a wiring problem due to the fact that when we replaced the switch for the heater controls it worked for about a day or so then shorted out. Now i know a decent amount about these cars but her wiring is fucked!!! Whoever had the car before her must have had a feild day with electrical tape and scissors :-? Put it this way! she had heat till her dad fixed the radio. after he fixed the radio her dash ?(digital) wouldnt light up when the headlights were on and the heater and a/c didnt work!!!!

Now my question is what could posibly short out the switch after a day of use? I am truly afraid to look at these witres tomorrow......lol her dad attempted to fix it :roll: and that scares me more.....lmao he has no idea what hes doing!!!!!

Should i just rerun the wires?

Ant advice is greatly appreciated..........wish me luck!!!!! :(

·
Registered
5,302 Posts
Take it from me (I should know) - Get all the bad wiring out of there . Fix the ghetto shit and she'llpurr like a kitten (the car).
Maybe the heater control thingy went bad or theres a blockage in the cooling system? Bring it by on Sunday and well have it fixed in no time.

·
Premium Member
13,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
there is no blockage, the heater worked fine before her dad touched the car. It is a wiring probelm, there is no power being sent to the control switch!

·
Premium Member
13,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well, its 7:15 am here and im geatting ready to start this insaley retarded project :( christine took my car to work :( It was nice to hear what it sounds like outside the car though as its driving away :)

ill be back in a bit, i just have a feeling....lmao

wish me luck

·
Premium Member
13,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well that was quick, its friggin raining!!!!!! :evil:

·
Premium Member
13,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ok, there is power going to the switch itself i fixed that probelm, otherwise the light on the knob wouldnt come on right?

When i switch the heater controls to a/c its sending a signal to the fan and the fan come on. and i also get the hissing nois when switching from heater to a/c to vet and defront and so on.

But there is no air blowing!! nothin at all, This wiring job is shit!!!

anyone have any ideas!!!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
13,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thats what i am worried about, I mean im getting power to controls now otherwise there wouldnt be any lights going to the switch and it wouldnt send a signal to the fan. this is the part im worried about. I really hope its not the blower motor

·
Premium Member
13,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ok.......she finally has heat.....sorta!!! its very weak. shes is going to need a new blower motor.

damn hher dad must have stock in electrical tape!!! this wiring job was insanley horrible!!! the good news is while i was in there i fixed the wiring for the stereo also.........god i didnt think people could be so retarded!!!!

so now i have to go out and buy the blower.

this is something i have never had to replace before and i dont have my chiltons on me. is this a difficult job?

·
Registered
5,302 Posts
Its incredibly easy to do. If you want I ll go to NJ tommorow and pick up christines car. That way I can fix the blower motor and learn how to drive a 5 speed!! :love: Whats the worst that can happen?!!!!! :lol:

·
Premium Member
13,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
well its fixed sorta!!! OMG what a pain in the ass. i ended up haveing to not only replace the blower but connctors to the blower as well!!! so i start it up and wham heat!!! hot friggin air then ...........CRUNCH!!!!!! and what preceeded to sound like a weedwacker!!! Im like shit! turn off the car and take the blower apart again!! there was a stick in there i didnt see!! tore up 60% of the fins on the fan attached to the motor!! Now next weekend ill have to go out and buy a new fan for it and start all over agian!! but atleast i fixed the problem......right ;)

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
just replace the squirel cage (the plastic thing with the fins). you should easily be able to get it used. no sense in replacing the whole thing again.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
speedemon said:
just replace the squirel cage (the plastic thing with the fins). you should easily be able to get it used. no sense in replacing the whole thing again.
That cage is pressed on TIGHT.. I tried to take it off my blower motor but scrapped the cage in the proccess. (the part I was trying to salvage.) The way it looks though is that it would be easy to assemble.. good luck

·
Premium Member
13,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
speedemon said:
i know, there would be no pint in replacing the entire thing again, but in order to remove the cage i would have to remove the blower again, so thats something for me to do next weekend

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
soup said:
speedemon said:
i know, there would be no pint in replacing the entire thing again, but in order to remove the cage i would have to remove the blower again, so thats something for me to do next weekend
i know that you have to take it out, im just saying you dont have to replace the whole thing

·
Premium Member
13,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
or i could just spend the 5 bucks and get the blades

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.