J-Body Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok guys..i don't know how much help you'll be able to give me but ill state my problem. for a few years now my neon has been ticking while under load. just recently it has been getting worse and worse and starting to loose power. i've changed my spark plugs. haven't changed the wires or fuel pump or injectors or anything yet. i've searched and searched of the stupidly bad designed dodge forums and have come up with nothing. can anyone help me out on this?

·
Registered
360 Posts
What kind of clicking noise... and year of the car and DOHC or SOHC? ATX or MTX? Also a pretty good resource is neons.org, hate posting there but if you can search you can find a bunch of shit. Also is there anything else that is happening with the car CEL or anything?

Adam

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
96 neon, sohc manual trans. it sounds like a lifter tick(but do ohc engines even have lifters). it ticks when i accelerate, but not when i decelerate. is it an injector problem?

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Most neons have a lifter tick eventually. Mine did My sisiters does. When I parted mine out the guy took apart the engine and put 2 new lifters in it, and the ticking stopped. If you put some marvel mystery oil in your oil, and use like a full synthetic oil it usually stops or gets alot quieter.

·
Registered
360 Posts
All neons will have lifter tick and they do have lifters now what kind of performance loss is there, and no engine codes?

edit: also look at your exhaust manifold and check for cracks, I have heard a cracked mani can cause a clicking noise and that would explain why you hear it more during acceleration.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i've also heard that the lifters need to be adjusted on them like the acura's and some hondas. i'm to lazy to look at it because i know nothing about ohc engines so i'll just take it to a shop and have them look at it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.