J-Body Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just encountered a problem. Actually, i am not sure. I just noticed last night that i can shift out of park on my automatic car without the keys in the ignition or my foot on the brake. I have actually never tried it before so i dont remember if its supposed to be like that or not, but i dont think so. Another thing that came up at the same time is after i have my car on, when i turn it off, it wont let me turn it all the way back enough to take out my key. the same thing would happen, for instance, if you try to take your key out with your car in drive, it wont let you. Mine will be in park, but i cant get my key out without shifting from park, to drive, to park a few times before i get it out. I think those problems go hand in hand. One of my friends said that its the neutral saftey switch or something like that. What is the neutral safety switch, a relay? Do you think that is it and if it is, is it hard to replace or expensive? Thanks for your help :roll:

·
Registered
29 Posts
Thats funny. I have the same freakin problem. I am pretty sure that it is the neutral safety switch, but don't ask me how the hell to change it. I am broke right now, and haven't had the money to even buy a new one... so that being said I haven't even looked into it. Be creful cause I shut my car off in drive all the time. I can even take my keys out when it is in any gear. Hopefully someone else has some advice for us on this one. 8)

·
Registered
3,967 Posts
Sounds like your park/lock cable has gotten out of adjustment. That cable goes from the shifter assembly to the ignition switch attatched to the steering column. If you remove the trim piece from your center console to get access to the cables at the shifter you can adjust it from there. Also if you have an aftermarket shifter handle, check the position of that to make sure it isn't putting pressure down onto the plastic piece inside the lever that you press down on.

·
Super Moderator
20,045 Posts
ginobeats said:
Sounds like your park/lock cable has gotten out of adjustment. That cable goes from the shifter assembly to the ignition switch attatched to the steering column. If you remove the trim piece from your center console to get access to the cables at the shifter you can adjust it from there. Also if you have an aftermarket shifter handle, check the position of that to make sure it isn't putting pressure down onto the plastic piece inside the lever that you press down on.
What he said. ;)

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ya, its wierd. i first start up and go driving and everything is fine, then when i shut it off i cant turn the key back, so what i do, is when the car is off, i shift from park to any gear, then back to park, and it lets me take my key out. About that readjustment you guys talked about, do you mean take out the trim around the steering wheel and adjust there or do you mean by the shifter? Exactly how do you adjust it? what do you do? thanks for your help.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I FIXED THE PROBLEM. i took apart the steering column and found that the parking/locking cable was completely out of the ignition switch. i figured out how to get it back in and now everything is fine :D :D :D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.