J-Body Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im getting a 800 watt amp....im hooking it up to 2 450 watt mtx audio 12" subs....what type of wriing should i get...and should i htink about a capacitator and what size fuse i need or what do you recommend? also....anyone got some ideas on the best way to wire up an amp so you dont see any wires???

·
Registered
97 Posts
You should buy a Pheonix Gold XS 2600, i think that the right model number, check with a stereo shop, or JL amp they have just won a shit load of awards for best amps. i know someone who had the pheonix gold pushing two JL12W6s, LOUD. He didnt have a capacitor and his lights did dim. so you might want to look into one. but he a had a integra, aka pussy car.
the amp should be mounted on the back of the seat. you can run the wires from the amp into the seat and out the bottom zipper, thats if you have fold down seats. Or just connect all the wires together, using a using some small zip ties, and run them on the out side of the seat. A fuse to use should be around a 30amp, inline of course.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ahhh thanks naaz...anyone else got ideas for hiding the wires? im just gonna put the amp on the back of the box i got....

·
Registered
527 Posts
I might not want to put your amp on the back of your box unless you have fold down seats or it could get to hot and burn it up. I would also consider geting a precison power amp. They are designed by the same guy that did the JL amps and the Xtant amps. Remember not all amps put out the amount of watts that they say the best formula to find out how many true watts an amp puts out is

1$=1 watt

I hope this helps.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well its good i have the fold down seats cuz itll seem to mak emy job easier but sometimes i dont have them folded down....where else could i mount the amp safely so it doesnt burn up?

·
Registered
278 Posts
I mounted mine on the back of my rear seat, Mine fold down too. It looks really cool at night, I have a JBL amp that lights up. It also keeps the amp cool back there when the seats are down. I always have my seats down cause the bass hits you harder.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
would it be safe for me to mount it on the back of my seats even though i hardly fold them down? im thinking that it would get hotter being on the cloth seats rather than my amp box....but what do i know, thats why im here

·
Registered
97 Posts
Put it on the seat and leave the seats up not down. Leaving the seats up allows your sub to not only use the box for base but the trunk also. and you can run the wire behind your amp and then screw the amp on top of them. just do the speaker and RCA wires like that not the Power, ground, and remote. if the power and RCA are too close you will get interference. the wires that go behind the amp can then go into the seat and out the bottom corner of the zipper.

·
Registered
278 Posts
I find having the seats down gives me more bass. That could be because I have the subs facing the back of my car, so when the seats are down the actually air moving has more space to move in, so that's why I feel the bass better.

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
I don't know if anybody will read this, but i will put it out there anyways...
Your bass that you think you are getting all depends on the kind of music you listen to and the frequencies you are listening to, i won't get technical, cuz most people won't understand it. If you face your subs out with the seats up, you will get good low frequency response, and with the seats down you will get a louder high frequency response. And as for mounting the amp... if you buy a good one, it shouldn't over-heat in the first place. Just run it as 4 ohms and it should not overheat at all, if it does, you bought a crappy amp. I had a profile clarus amp mounted in a confined space with 90 degree weather where i live, and after hours of driving it still kept on pounding...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts