J-Body Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey,
has anybody put a new leather shift boot into a 2nd gen (or any gen i guess). I'm just wondering how the basics of the install worked out and whether it was worth it. I hate this rubber accordian...

thanks

·
Registered
315 Posts
Found one at <LINK_TEXT text="http://www.jegs.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ ... 1">Jegs</a">http://www.jegs.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=32971&prmenbr=76&lastcat=2621">Jegs</a</LINK_TEXT></URL>>, though it's not actually for Cavs and it's naugahyde, but the right tinkering should be able to get it to fit (in the picture, it looks like a round bezel rather than D-shaped like the Cavs). I'm going to order one in a few days.

·
Registered
315 Posts
uhhmm... the link worked in Preview, don't know why it didn't work live. Sorry Copy the URL above or use the working link under the "shifter accessories" thread in this discussion.

[ This Message was edited by: generic on 2001-08-17 11:14 ]

·
Super Moderator
7,650 Posts
I fixed the link for you. I don't know why it decides to be gay sometimes and not render the HTML. Might have to look into that, as it seems to be happening more often....

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Super Moderator
7,650 Posts
No, unfortunately it won't look like that. If you shorten the shaft it will look a little better, but it will still be raised up just like the rubber boot is, only it will be leather...

·
Registered
315 Posts
That's how I want mine to fit. I know the stock shift in the cav is only 3" long before it hits that flat slab of steel which makes up the bulk of the stick. Where these two meet is where the top of the stock boot rests (love the 'rubber accordion' remark ). In order for the top of the leather boot to rest that far down, it will probably require a replacement stick, which I've not had any luck finding yet. As for the bracket or bezel, I suppose one could try some rubber cement or some other suitable glue to adhere the boot to the existing console cut-out (you may have to use a hacksaw or similar saw to cut a truly rectangular hole in the console). I'm thinking about filling in the squared portion of the hole with plastic to make a round shape, and then using the chrome bezel to mount the boot on top of the console. It will all depend on the actual dimensions of the product when I get it. Hope this made sense
ps: thanks for fixing the link, moonwell.

[ This Message was edited by: generic on 2001-08-17 16:52 ]

1 - 7 of 7 Posts