J-Body Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had my cars tint job done a couple days ago. I think it looks pretty good but there are some problems with it. From a distance it looks great but when you get up close there are some area's which I am not happy with. The company that did it says they will go away and are nothing more than moister trapped under it? I am suppose to leave it out in the sun to dry them up. also I cant roll the windows up or down for a couple days. I am still waiting for the spots to disappear. Maybe I just need to be a bit more patient. I will try and send some pictures soon. Lonny

·
Registered
3,052 Posts
First the company should have had a heat gun and a squeegy to install the tint. The moisture that's trapped under it is going to turn into bubbles when the moiture DOES evaporate. I would take the car back and make them redo it. Or take it to someone else who knows wat their doing...

·
Registered
13,406 Posts
those bubbles in the tint are there forever, take it back and make em rip it off and re-do it... my dad used to work in a glass shop for over 10 years and he's really good at tinting windows.. just as good as the professinals.. good think he will do it to my car for free :wink:

·
Registered
7,387 Posts
I did mine in my old black Z...the back two windows didn't come out too bad, but I accidentally ripped it in a couple spots and that back corner's hard as hell to reach...

One tip, though...if you do it yourself, spray down the tint with soapy water as you peel the backing off of it so it doesn't stick...I learned that the hard way. :oops:

Once you've got it on the window where you want it it's just a matter of spending a couple hours squeegeeing out all the little bubbles and smoothing the shit out...then cutting off the excess once it's dry. :D

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
For the drivers side and passanger windows you can just take the window completely out and then wrap the tint and use a blade so you get a really clean job. The other windows I guess would be a pain...?

·
Registered
13,406 Posts
when ur tinting,wash off the window and then spray it with soapy water, then put the tint on it then spray the tint, then peel the film off, and as u peel it off, spray it with the soapy water, then spray the indside of the window too then put the tint on the inside and spray that with soap water and squeege :wink:... if i remember from watching my dad, that's all u need to do.. oh and the back window is the hardest, u need 2 pieces of tint to do it, and u have to make sure there is no space where the 2 pieces meet

·
Banned
544 Posts
sask_cruiser said:
when ur tinting,wash off the window and then spray it with soapy water, then put the tint on it then spray the tint, then peel the film off, and as u peel it off, spray it with the soapy water, then spray the indside of the window too then put the tint on the inside and spray that with soap water and squeege :wink:... if i remember from watching my dad, that's all u need to do.. oh and the back window is the hardest, u need 2 pieces of tint to do it, and u have to make sure there is no space where the 2 pieces meet
yes that is the correct way to apply tint. Also just a tip, place the tint on the outside of the window, and then cut the tint to proper size this way... just make sure which side the glue is on, otherwise you can end up cutting it backwards.

and the pros will use a heat gun for all the windows. you basically want to put the tint on the outside of the glass, cut it to proper shape, and then take a heat gun, and lightly go over the tint...this will kinda shrink the tint, and make it conform to the window. after this process is all done, the tint will look perfect, but it will still be on the outside of the car..... then just take the tint off the outside of the car, soap everything down, NOW peel the backing off the tint, and install the glue side to the inside of the window.

and there yah go, the piece will be cut and heat formed to fit the window. this will make getting those bubbles out easy, and also it will be extremely easy to line the piece of tint up where you want it.

any more Q's feel free to PM me

·
Registered
3,052 Posts
The dot matrix's on the back and quarter windows make our cars extremely hard to tint. Don't u have to cut out each of the dots and lines in the tint after u placed it on the glass?? Correct me if I'm wrong please, I don't want neone trying this if it's wrong.

·
Banned
544 Posts
most tint places will just hard card the bubbles out from the dot matrix... BUT it never comes out perfect, so the tint places just recommend that you get some black vynal placed on the outside of the rear window over top of the martix. (but this looks kind of ugly, and not stock)

what the pros do -
The tint on the rear window only extends to where the dot matrix STARTS.. the film does not cover the dot matrix at all. Then the tinter simply will paint the dot matrix using a flat black ceramic paint (its the same stuff that the dots are made out of, in the first place). after about 2 coats, it looks perfect from the inside and out, and theres no ugly strip of vynal on the back window.

·
Registered
701 Posts
also just a tip for people with tint(most of you know this but oh well) never NEVER use windex on your tinted windows, it will really fuck it up.

some tinting shops even use windex to remove tint.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I paid $140 for the tint job and I expect it to look good for that amount of money. The side windows are alright. It is the back window that looks bad. It looks like a bunch of light mesh bubbles that circles the window and can be seen only from the out side of it. I waited the amount of time they said to give it to see if it would dry up and will be calling them on Monday to see what they will be doing to correct this problem. If it means doing it over than they will have to do it over because I will not settle for a half ass job. I did not try to do it myself to avoid just this kind of problem. Lonny

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.