J-Body Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I went to pick up my friend after driving for about 30 min on the highway. Pick her up go to restart the car and it just clicks until the battery died. This has been an intermittent problem and it usually starts after 3 or 4 tries. Now the clicking makes me think it is the alt. but the battery is always charged.

sometimes it will click sometimes it wont do anything and sometimes it will start like it's brand new.

electrical test?, new starter?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
13,848 Posts
check your connection to the starter, make sure it is ground properly.

·
Registered
769 Posts
After checking the above things, next thing would be to have the starter tested. I had the same problem in my grand am almost exactly, then one day it just stopped working completely. The starter was shot, some times it would not even turn, other times it would turn and not stop even after power was killed to the switching lug.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's pretty tight in there what is the best way to get to it.
How much of a hassle is it to change yourself and what would it cost.

Also what should normal oil pressure be at idle, cruise, full throttle?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
cosmokill said:
It's pretty tight in there what is the best way to get to it.
How much of a hassle is it to change yourself and what would it cost.

Also what should normal oil pressure be at idle, cruise, full throttle?

Thanks
go from the bottom, way easier :D

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Took a look underneath (much better thanks), all connections look good but the starter looks worn and old. It will not start at all now, all it does is click until the battery dies. I have a green light on my battery and the alternator is all hooked up. Anyone have a how-to on starter replacement?

Thanks

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.