J-Body Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone who read my Moon... I HATE YOU! post will know that I did the TB heater bypass, and had a hell of a time getting the hose to fit.

Now I never really noticed how hot my engine ran before, but now it seems to stay somewhere up near 70-100 degrees C most of the time, when it's not even that warm outside.

Is this normal?
Could I have possibly slowed/pinched my coolant line with the mod?

This hose isn't really kinked too much, and it's definitely not leaking. Could this cause the engine to run hotter?
Did i maybe not refill enough coolant in the resevoir when I was done?
Could I have gotten the coolant/water ratio wrong?

Any feedback here would be greatly appreciated.
(i'm really not looking forward to tackling that hose again if that's what i have to do )

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
I recently changed a rotted hose on my car, and lost some coolant. It ran hot, after I added more coolant it ran at normal temprature.

Try refilling the resivoir to the proper place
best to do so if the engine is cold (unless you like burning yourself.)

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hmm... i'll try adding more coolant, but my resevoir is so cloudy that I can't really see where the fluid level is compared to the fill guide.

·
Super Moderator
7,650 Posts
My temp gauge is in Fahrenheit, so its hard to compare. What marks on the gauge is the needle between?

I just fill my coolant reservoir until I can see by looking straight down into the reservoir that is is almost to the top.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
you mean you fill the coolant resevoir all the way up, moon?

i didn't drive my car anywhere today, and I can't remember which markings the temp is between (though I think it's between the 2nd and 3rd)
I'll take it for a drive tomorrow and post back about it.

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
I don't know if this is the same as your guys cars but my 89Z has 2 fill lines (hot & Cold) so i simply let my car sit a while then fill it to the cold line, as for my coolant light it's always on because of a defective coolant sensor.

if i fill mine to the top will it damage anything, cause maybe my sensor isn't broken just higher than the cold line?

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
hmm... drove my car for a while today, and it stayed at a more feasible temp (something like 55-65 degrees C)

I added a little more coolant, I guess that did the trick.

·
Super Moderator
7,650 Posts
Good Deal

Slayer - fill up the reserviour a little more. The sensor may not be broken, and it shouldnt hurt anything to fill it up about to the top

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
bah
drove it again today and it was back to high temps. i'm going to fill the coolant right up tonight and see if that helps.

I was driving a little bit harder today than when i said that it was back to a normal temp, and i guess that has a lot to do with it, but i really don't think that it should be running THAT hot.

could my TB override hose cause this?

--edit--

btw moon, the needle is actually between the 3rd and 4th markings on the temp gauge... only one more marking and i'm into the red area, which i imagine is a bad thing

[ This Message was edited by: king93bird on 2001-08-31 20:38 ]

·
Registered
221 Posts
Wow, mine always sits just above the first gauge mark. Your bypass hose would only cause that if it were kinked.

To help it from heating so much, roll your windows down and blast the heat. Just to help, obviously not a fix.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
oh god
please... no

goddamnit... i guess i'll take off my TB and play with the hose again tomorrow

i am REALLY not looking forward to that

·
Registered
13 Posts
Mine will actually stay about a needle down from the first temp mark when moving, and might go up to the halfway mark when stopped at a light. This is actually a proble in winter.. not enough heat in the car!

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
hmm... i hacked off another section of my coolant line and got a better bend in the bypass hose, and it's STILL HOT!

I'm pretty sure that the TB heater bypass is not what's causing all this heat.

Anybody have any ideas as to what else could cause it to run so hot? I think my coolant/water mixture is pretty heavy on the coolant... could that raise temperatures?

·
Registered
221 Posts
You should have about an even 50/50 mixture, more coolant in the winter to guard againt freezing. If you're running this hot, your water pump might be on it's way out the door, or you have a kinked hose elsewhere along the line.

·
Super Moderator
7,650 Posts
It is also possible that you got air in the system. A full coolant flush may be needed.

Or your temp sensor has just gone wacko

·
Registered
246 Posts
This is a easy one!! im suprized noone said it yet. You prob have air in the system cu of having everything apart. You will have to bleed the system to make this better. To do that you run the car then open the bleeder. Its on the thermostat housing. Its the bolt on the top. You open that up and there will be some coolant that comes out. You want to keep it open till only coolant comes out NO AIR!!! then you should be fine. Also i hear they is another bleeder but i never used it and dont know were it is. (just a note some people say you should lift the back of the car up when you do this i dont but what ever you feel likedoing)hope this helps. Keep me informed on what happends email me if you have any ???'s or problems my email is [email protected]

·
Registered
246 Posts
opps didnt see that 2nd page sorry moon

·
Registered
599 Posts
I had this problem on my 93 Cavalier 2.2 How old is your thermastat? I went through 3 before the part store finally gave me a good one. Also do you have a intake? my car would get hot from the intake sucking in hot air off the manifold. the needle would stay straight up in the middle.I cut out the hood and scooped it and closed off the intake it stays cool now. I don't expect you to hack up your hood I'm just trying to giv you some ideas.

isaacs93cavi

1 - 20 of 20 Posts