J-Body Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a 90 z24 with the 3.1 in it and 5 speed 5 days ago. when i bought it i knew it ran like crap, and still does. I pulled the plugs and every plug has heavy carbon build up. chiltons suggested some senor or tunning is messed up. it will start right up but it feels like its misfiring while idle, when it warms up to about 200degrees it wants to stall but never does it keeps reving between 500-1000 rpms. and if i shut it off then restart it, it starts then revs to 2000 and idles down after a couple seconds. i unplugged the map sensor and it raised the idle and it seemed to run A LOT better for about 2 min then it realized the map was missing and started running like shit again. the plugs i took out where fairly new, no damage and still had the original shape just covered in black carbon. I think this means it running too rich and the air/fuel ratio is messed up. if anyone knows how to fix this or a possible solution it would be greatly appreciated. oh one more thing, the car was sitting for about year. not a daily drive but kept running.

·
Premium Member
13,848 Posts
where is this place in jersey? like where are you in relation to anyone of those places under my pumpkin....lol

·
Premium Member
13,848 Posts
whats so funny :-? i really dont know!!!! im in atleast 2 of those places everyday and sometimes all 3 in a day!!!

·
Premium Member
13,848 Posts
the sad part is they are each atleast 100 miles from one another!!!

·
Premium Member
13,848 Posts
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

well if ya can get your car running my monday you can come visit me and mjh whatever those numbers after his name are. lol

·
Premium Member
17,284 Posts
About your problem:

I would first check the ECU for codes. You can look in the How to section of this site to get instructions.

Then I would do a full tune up on your car. It is a good idea to do one when ever you buy a used car. You then know when things like the coolant, oil, filters, spark plugs have been changed. A good tune up will also help some of your problems.

If that doesn't work, we can start to look elsewhere. Some of your symptoms should like you have a massive vacuum leak.

Hope that this helps!

Brad

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
I agree with brad91Z. Sounds like a vaccum leak. And also when doing the tune up include fuel filter, PCV and O2 sensor. And then it needs a good long run.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
this is what has been done to the car:
oil
oil filter
fuel filter
air filter
plugs, not wires yet they didnt come it but the other ones are in good shape
pcv valve

the error code from the computer is code 16, i looked it up and it said there is a problem in the ignition. it runs very rough still and when it warms up wont idle and has a hard time starting again.

thanks for the help

·
Premium Member
13,848 Posts
if thats the case there may be a problem with one of your coil packs. you can remove them and take them to an autozone or something and have them tested.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ok ill check that out and let you know, on another note, i have a leak just behind my front passenger tire. there is a pipe that just makes a u turn and goes back to the front of the car. do you have any idea what that hose it or does? its leaking cause the seal is shot due to the fact its been siting for a year.

·
Registered
496 Posts
That hose your mentioning is probably the power steering line. It goes back along the pass side for ways then back. Just to cool it down I guess. Just cut out the part that is leaking and fix it with new hose and some clamps.

·
Registered
667 Posts
dont know if this will help but my car did the same thing.. i had the coil pack replaced and that worked for a day.. then i looked at my tranny fluid and it was down so i change the filter and gasket and now it idels fine and stuff. just a few thing you can check

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
ok here is an update, I just got it out of the shop like an hour ago, he couldnt find anything. he replaced the 02 senor and atleast it stays running now. he said i may have bad injectors, you can feel a miss in the car when its idling. does anyone confirm injectors? or what?

A side note, my clutch slips at 3-5000 rpms under heavy accel. It nots burn cause it only slips when i really give it gas. I have a leak under the car too, im not sure if its coming from the trans but its sure as hell isnt engine oil. its on that gasket to the left of the drain nut on the trans looking from the front of the car. i think it has something to do with the clutch because i heard if there is air in a hydro clutch it slips wheter good or not. any ideas??

thanks for the help :D

·
Registered
667 Posts
check your tranny gasket and filter.. mine was doing the same thing. stalling and ideling funny and it turned out to be my tranny pan was leaking so i would run low on trany fluid and the tranny would slip. just go and buy a new filter(comes with the gasket) it should be like $15 and replace it and that should fix it.

you should try little thing before droping money on feul ingectors and then find out that they were still good.

thats just my $.02

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
yes that would work if i had an automatic trans, but i have a 5 speed manual. the trans makes not difference on how the car idles cause all i have to do i put it in nuetrual or press down the clutch and the trans is doing shit. I know for a fact the car is not getting fuel, you can feel it when it idles and doesnt perform well. you can tell with all the carbon buildup on my exhaust and plugs thats its runing too lean. the trans is another problem, i have to take it to a repair shop and have the seals redone. i have tried everything but the injectors themselves. i have a brand new fuel filter in it, it has all of 40 miles on it. i think its the injectors because there are times where it will run flawlessly and be a fast car, either they are dirty up the wazoo or they need to be replaced.

anyone replace them before on a 90 3.1?

·
Registered
2 Posts
take your car out and burn the livin' jesus ot of it for an hour or two. try to get the carbon out of it because that will make it work like shit also. If that doesn't work try checking the mass air sensor. hope this helps

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
if anyone wants to know.......i replaced all 6 injectors(i got a huge discount so it wasnt THAT bad) and i still have a miss. it idles smoother and runs smoother but there is still a serious misfire. the whole car shakes when idle and still has no power and eats gas like no tomorrow. i also failed inspection for my c02 levels (im putting out 3x more than they allow to pass :eek: ). so yeah its a big problem :roll: . the only thing i havent replaced is the coils and modular :-? could this be the problem or could it be a valve? im gonna do a compression check tomorrow, im praying its just electrical, if anyone knows let me know please :)

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.