J-Body Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My first true car was a beat up 1993 Cavalier convertible. I got ripped off of course, but I fell in love with it. I started looking for a 94 since that was the last year of that body style. Well, I found a 92 that was so pretty I got it instead. Blue this a glass window, and white interior, nice carpet, and an smooth smooth ride.

I wanted to know the difference between a regular RS and the Z24. Is it just the body kit, or other stuff too? I don't have the time at the moment to hunt through the history to see if the answer is there.

Also- I like frogs, and my favorite color is green, and I thought a little green convertible would be cute. Well..... I've decided never to buy anything alone again, but now how would I go about fixing my poor badly painted car? Sue? Do it myself? I really like this car.

·
Registered
5,820 Posts
Z24 has "performance" handling suspension and steering, 3.1L engine, bodykit, and a few different interior trim pieces.

to name a few things.

Take the car to a paint shop to get painted.

·
Super Moderator
20,044 Posts
1fastcavi said:
and a better sounding exhaust. but other then that. there the same car
Last I checked the exhausts were the same.

·
Premium Member
13,848 Posts
Six_Shooter said:
1fastcavi said:
and a better sounding exhaust. but other then that. there the same car
Last I checked the exhausts were the same.
I'm sure hes talking about the muffler

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
barrok69 said:
Z24 has "performance" handling suspension and steering, 3.1L engine, bodykit, and a few different interior trim pieces.

to name a few things.

X2

And Welcome To The Site!!!! :D

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
I thought the RS had the same suspension as a Z, basically a toned down Z24. But then again don't take my word for it because it's been a long time since I've brushed up on my J-ology.

At any rate, the car sounds nice, especially digging the white interior. It sucks about the paint but hopefully you will figure that out. Don't worry about sounding clueless, I know I felt that way when I first started learning about these cars. If you need to know anything don't be afraid to search around (lol recommended you try that first), or just ask us. We can usually point you in the right direction.

What's the story on the paint anyway?

By the way, welcome to the site Aimee!

·
Registered
6,424 Posts
barrok69 said:

to name a few things.

some RS's had a 3.1L also :wink:

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Weeelll....

This is the main reason why I have sworn off buying anything. I'll make my fiance do it. I got the car blue, and I wanted it green. I've always wanted a unique car. So, I looked around, and I heard bad things about Maaco, but I didn't have a whole lot of money, and I couldn't see paying more than the car was worth just for paint.

Well, I found a shop that looked nice, they had some cars waiting to be picked up, and they looked fine. The guy quoted me around 900 I think. So I saved up and called in to give an update- I was up to 600 or so. He said if I could drop by that week, they were slow, they could give a huge discount. I ended up paying 548. At the same time, I took the spoiler off my old red cavalier, and found a neat hood (I think its z24, with two little bubble scoops in it).

I come back to find this neat little green car, but when i get closer, it sucks. There was paint film on the windshield, inside my car, they got it on my wheels, they painted the stripe wrong... a huge mess. I take it home (on the way my windshield wiper tried to kill me and get lost on the highway. I put it in the backseat and went home). My family says they could have painted it better blindfolded with their hands tied, holding the sprayer with.... yeah.

So I took it back- they screwed it up more, and fixed nearly nothing. They got the stripe right.

I talked to a lawyer. They told me my only real option is to have them repaint- since the warranty says that. The third time they cleaned the carpets- which instead left spots on my interior, I guess soap? Armor-all wouldn't get it off.

I guess I've given up, but then I can't see letting them get away with this. For instance- we were considering a new car. Just to see, trade-in value sucks- like 400 dollars.

One of the things the lawyer had me do was see how much it would cost to fix it. I got quotes anywhere from 3500 to 9000 dollars! I paid 2700 for the car and it was near perfect!

So, I'm really mad at myself, and them. That's the paint story. I'll see if I can find a picture of the whole car instead of close-ups of defects.......

·
Premium Member
24,384 Posts
Wow sounds like a screw job to say the least

first off armor all isn't a cleaner in any sort of way. It's a protectant and shine inhancer. So of course that wouldn't help you much. In fact being paint.. once it's bonded to the fabric of the carpet Not really much of anything out there is going to get it off. Have to hit that kind of thing right away.

2 options would be

A) re-dye the carptet. (your local professional detail shop should be able to help with that)

B) replace the carpet. (not to costly on these cars. About $150 or less for new)

As far as the differences go. The RS could come (because my 94 did) with everything the Z-24 came with from the factory minus the badging and body kit. All the way down to the Upgraded suspension set up. But most didn't so you'd have to look at your car to see what exactly it came with. If it's sitting on stock suspension it's probably in need of replacement anyways and you can always say you have a Z-24 to get an upgraded stock replacement. (everything fits either)

·
Registered
908 Posts
I wouldn't get rid of the car. It's always cheaper to keep her!
Speak with your lawyer. See if you can get the car fixed with a reputable shop and then sue the other place for the cost. Have you contacted the Better Business Bureau?

·
Banned
3,105 Posts
Maaco strikes again. It's probably the worst place you can take your car to get painted. Sure they "look" nice, but it's just minimum wage people who are painting your car with no "real" experience in most cases.

There isn't much you can do, because they probably got you to sign a waiver. You'll just have to keep taking it back at their expense. I don't know if you can sue or not.

But Maaco is definitely a poor choice 95% of the time. It's mainly for people who are going to sell a car and don't really car about the paint before it leaves.

Sorry to hear.

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Man, they really screwed you over. I don't trust anyone spraying a car around 5-600. I usually charge anywhere between the $1000 for just regular sprays, not having to do bodywork. If I do bodywork then it's around the $1500 to $2000 deal. For the tricky paint jobs I charge around $2-3500 to do it. You can get the film off your windshield by taking a razor blade to it but it's the concept of them rippin you a new bunhole!!!! I would definately fight it especially if they have a warranty. And you need to keep the car!!!!! :D

Anyway good luck and keep us informed about everything!!!

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Oh yes, I have learned about the get-what-you-pay-for concept.

It was a shop called Econo Auto Paint here in Daytona Beach, not Maaco- I figure Maaco would have done a BETTER job than these people...

After the fact, I found out the guy that did it is someone I sort of know, and has always been a douchebag.

Oh, and the armor-all I use is the ultimate clean kind. I don't really like the regular one, it makes the sun glare of the dash at me. Actually, I was just using it on my seats this morning, and I can definately tell that it has been too long since I last cleaned them.

Oh, and the better business bureau did exactly jack-all for the situation. The shop didn't respond to their letter so they basically told me they can't do anything.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.